In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

question for competentone !

billybob31billybob31 Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
edited September 2001 in Ask the Experts
i agree with you on the mini 30 being a great fun gun ! my buddy let me shoot his a couple of weeks ago & i loved it but one thing we couldn't get it to do !! he had boght some high capicity magazines 20 rounds & 30 rounds but they did not fed ? just kept stove piping ?he had two of each & the both did that ? the one was marked usa but the others were not marked ? i told him i think it was the magazines not the rifle ??billybob31
billybob31

Comments

• Options
    competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    billybob,(edit note: re-reading your post and mine I see that when I say "you" I should have said "your friend".)I have USA brand 30 rd magazines that work excellent--some of the mags produced by USA in the rush during the 1994 ban are really trashy; mostly what I see for sale currently are these.It might be possible to fix the magazines you have, but trying to get into details of what to do can be difficult without actually seeing the problems.I've found, generally (and with my somewhat limited experience) that most jamming problems with autos are magazine related.You used the term "stovepiping", normally that involves a spent shell casing standing on-end and being caught between the bolt (or "slide" in a pistol) and the chamber. I have to wonder if your described problem involves an unfired round standing on end and being caught by the bolt/chamber? Such a problem would probably be the result of the magazine's lips being too small or spread too wide--the round would "jump free" as the bolt is traveling rearward and dragging over the next live round it was going to strip. This also could be the result of the whole magazine locking too high in the rifle.If you haven't already, examine the feed lips and the front and rear latch points, of the problem magazines and compare them with Ruger's factory magazine--holding them side-to-side, front-to-back and using measuring dividers and straight edges can give you good insight into problems with the aftermarket mag.Also, using dummy rounds, and cycling the action by hand can give good insight into problems.Unfortunately, Ruger never made any factory high capacity mags (like they did for the Mini 14) so I cannot suggest using them as a solution.With a little time and attention to detail you might be able to fix the problem mags yourself (gunsmiths are normally too expensive to have them fix magazines), or just keep shopping around to see if you can find good ones. They are out there.Joe[This message has been edited by competentone (edited 09-17-2001).]
  • Options
    billybob31billybob31 Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    thanks joe, i will tell my friend & he will sure appreciate your help & thanks !!bill
    billybob31