In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

75 round Chinese Drum for MAK-90

Evil ATFEvil ATF Member Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2001 in Ask the Experts
Hola folks.I recently got a Chinese made 75 round drum on auction here. It was thrown into the deal on an AK variant I was buying.After a few weeks of staring at the dratted thing, I've come to the conclusion that 30 round mags rule. I can't figure out how to load the thing so that all 75 rounds feed. I'll load it up, turn the crank on the back a bit, and it will feed 10-15 rounds just fine until no more rounds can be forced up.I'm positive that I'm doing something wrong and that the drum is in tip top shape. Can anybody with experience tell me what I might be doing wrong?

Comments

• Options
    dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    You have to load all of the rounds through the top of clip and just keep winding it up as you go. If your opening the face and loading it there, it won't feed all of the rounds. Mine works fine, but it's a b!#(h to load.
    Save, research, then buy the best.Join the NRA, NOW!Teach them young, teach them safe, teach them forever, but most of all, teach them to VOTE!
  • Options
    The JokerThe Joker Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are very specific instructions for loading the Chicom drums. They are different from the Russian drums which are indeed top load.Go to AK-47guns.net and go to the Ak variants page and there is a copy of the correct loading instructions you can print out.The beauty of the Chicom drums is that you can leave them loaded as you do not wind the spring until you need it.. Rock and Roll!!!
  • Options
    OPFORjohnOPFORjohn Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had the chineese drum and you should load it from the back you need to unwind the spring first push and hold in the center spring release and then turn the inside clockwise untill the follower is in the very middle. fill it up close the cover and when needed wind the cranck as hard as you can. we even tried only loading certin parts and it functioned fine
  • Options
    Evil ATFEvil ATF Member Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That address didn't take me anywhere, Joker. Can you post a link?
  • Options
    The JokerThe Joker Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    AK-47.gunsnet.net.Sorry I didn't remember it right.
  • Options
    lrarmsxlrarmsx Member Posts: 791 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    On the Chinese drums, you open the back of the drum by flipping the two latches at the 10:30 and 1:30 positions. Open the the lid it is hinged at the 6:00 position. Once open you'll see the follower assembly. In the very center is the release button. You must push in on that to release the spring tension. If you have been winding and winding it, it will probably be so tight that you'll think it won't push in. In some cases I've seen it where you have to give it a tap from a blunt object to take off the tension. One good tap should be enough.Having released the primary tension, you should now be able to push on the button and then start rotating the follower assembly in a clock-wise direction. The button should be held down while you are doing this. You will rotate the assembly until the follower are stops at the center of the spiral and won't go any further. Now start loading by putting the shells in point first. There are two areas to load on the assembly. One is larger and holds 6 rounds. The other is a smaller "U" shape at the edge and holds just one each. Fill all the areas with ammo. Do not skip an area, a drum should be loaded to its full capacity or not at all. If you skip a section the drive will spin for a short period and cause damage to the ramp that takes the rounds up into the tower section. Once all rounds have been loaded, close the back plate and latch closed. When ready to use, winde the key on the back to put tension on the drive assembly. Winde until it stops. If you choose to not use the drum at that time, you can again open the back plate and push the button in the center once again thereby releasing the spring tension. You can then leave the magazine fully loaded without any tension on the spring. In this condition, the mag can be left loaded indefinitely without harming the spring. When ready to use, just winde the key at the back and you're ready to go. As with any mag, do not leave loaded with the spring tension on. The proceedure is the same on the 100 round drum except the sections are sized for 8 and 2 rounds respectively.I hope this helps. I had to do this from memory as I didn't have a drum here in front of me at the time.LRARMSX