In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Need advice on reloading presses

Chief_WilliChief_Willi Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited September 2001 in Ask the Experts
I recently joined a range and I'm shooting about 500 rounds a week or 9mm & 45acp. Needless to say this is getting expensive. I've been thinking about getting into the reloading business would be a smart thing to do. When I talk to people at the range I'm told that since I'm new I should start with a RBCS single press. My friends in the reserves say I should go all out and get a Dillon progressive press.Whats your advise to a newby?

Comments

• Options
    badboybobbadboybob Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hard decision. A single stage RCBS or Lee is good for starters. But 500 rounds a week is a bit much for them. I would try a single stage such as the Lee Anniversary kit, then if you decide you like reloading a Dillon would be a fine choice.
  • Options
    32wsl32wsl Member Posts: 68 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    IF you shoot as much as you said, and plan to do so for the forseeable future, get a progressive with capabilities for both rounds. Make sure you have someone to explain its operation, and READ one or more books on reloading in general, from cover to cover before loading a round. Then, look into casting bullets. Those puppies are the highest cost component. You will see that $5-800 can disappear real quickly into this hobby, but after a few years (at 500 rds a week) it will either pay for itself or allow you to shoot twice as much for the same cost. And, you'll have a lot more friends. And, maybe a new wife(?)
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    500 rounds per week, every week,on a c-press is a bit much. Dillon owners say the progressive press is the only way to go for high volume handgun loading. A c-press is very liable to disenchant you and your wife/girlfriend soon with with all the time spent.
  • Options
    will270winwill270win Member Posts: 4,845
    edited November -1
    Don't upgrade if you don't have to. Get the progressive and be done with it. I almost bought the RCBS 5-0-5 scale but knew I would have to upgrade to get the accuracy I like (one ragged hole), so I bought the digital scale and digital powder trickler, I am very glad I did! Hell, it's just money. You can't take it with you when you go!
    If you run, you'll just die tired!
  • Options
    IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Chief -If you are absolutely, positively, sure you will continue to shoot this volume of handgun ammo, don't waste your time & money on a single stage press. I used an RCBS Rock Chucker for virtually all my loading for 25+ years and believe I can claim some proficiency for same. And I still use it for sizing all my rifle ammo because the cases must be lubricated before re-sizing (which must in turn be removed, which is a lot faster / easier in bulk unloaded brass than loaded rounds). But for volume loading in calibers such as 5.56, I do load the sized brass on a progressive. That said, the time savings on loading are enormous. I avoided buying a progressive for years for many years, but now that I have a Dillon 650, I can't say enough good things about it. After you've had it for 6 months or so, if your interest is still up there, consider some heavy duty bullet casting; as 32wsl said, the cost of jacketed bullets will eat you alive - and anyone who can't cast pistol bullets at least as good as those commercially available should probably find another hobby. Another thing to consider is that if you buy a Dillon and later decide you are going to cut back on your shooting, you will be able to sell it without taking too big a loss. I would look for a good used one on the various auction sites to save that amount up front.
  • Options
    rg666rg666 Member Posts: 395 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ditto what Iconoclast said. I too use RCBS for rifle & Dillon for pistol. Both RCBS & Dillon will bend over backward to help you. I even had a crimp problem I could'nt fix. Dillon said send the press to us & we will set it up for you. Got it back in 8 days fixed.RG
  • Options
    roysharoysha Member Posts: 749 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    While you are looking at progressive presses, I would like to suggest you consider the Hornady Projector. I have 7 of them, each set up for a specific handgun. When I want to load that round, it's just two bolts, pour in the powder and load. I started with the Hornady Projector when they first came out and have had excellent service from the presses and from Hornady. Now with the new L-N-L system, it makes changing calibers very easy and fast, especially with the L-N-L powder measure which allows you to have metering tubes adjusted and locked for a specific powder and amount. Just keep the metering tube, well and permamently marked,in the die box with the dies and shell plate. Of course, you should check your powder weight before each session and when ever you change powder lots. I've never noticed a change, but some people apparently have. Doesn't hurt to be safe. And, to be sure, Dillon is a good product and has good people. However, shop around and see what local people are using and what kind of local support you can expect. Sometimes it's better to have someone around that "has been there and done that" than any perceived "better" brand.
  • Options
    gunnutgunnut Member Posts: 724 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    go with big blue you wont regret it..
  • Options
    Chief_WilliChief_Willi Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank You all for your great advise.Really Thanks!
  • Options
    SP45SP45 Member Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dillon. Anything else and you will regret it.
  • Options
    dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    Dillon! Don't waste your money elsewhere.
    Save, research, then buy the best.Join the NRA, NOW!Teach them young, teach them safe, teach them forever, but most of all, teach them to VOTE!