In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.22 Hornet for Whitetails?

buckdodgerbuckdodger Member Posts: 38 ✭✭
edited September 2001 in Ask the Experts
Has anyone got any experience or thoughts on using a .22 Hornet on whitetails?

Comments

• Options
    KadaverKadaver Member Posts: 333 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    why don't you get yourself a nice 30-06 so you dont have to put 4-5 in him before he even feels it.
  • Options
    duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    how about a nice big rock??
  • Options
    will270winwill270win Member Posts: 4,845
    edited November -1
    If you throw that rifle just right and hit him in the head.........Seriously, I wouln't shoot at whitetails with anything less than a .243 and then only with a 100gr bullet. Save yourself some shoe rubber and get a nice 270 or 30-06, you'll be happy with the results.
    If you run, you'll just die tired!
  • Options
    rusty3040rusty3040 Member Posts: 131 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    WE USED TO USE A HORNET FOR DEER IN THE CROP DAMAGE AREAS, KILLED ALOT OF DEER WITH IT ,BUT IT IS VERY UNPREDICTABLE, SHOT PLACEMENT WAS VERY IMPORTANT, IT IS A LEGAL ROUND IN PA. FOR DEER
  • Options
    Dborn61Dborn61 Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've had good luck short range, 200 yards or less with hot hand loads from my 22-250 but that is the is the very least I would condider for deer. I must have shot at least 20 and it kills very quick. A shot anywhere in the chest cavity turns the heart and lungs to mush and they drop in 25 feet or less.
  • Options
    BigTexBigTex Member Posts: 64 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The goal of every responsible hunter is quick humane kills. I feel any .22 caliber weapon is an unethical choice for deer hunting.Regards,BigTex
  • Options
    ishootblanksishootblanks Member Posts: 170 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Next, someone will want to know if you can use a BB gun and shoot for the eye!
    Without the NRA, the second ammendment would already be gone!
  • Options
    roysharoysha Member Posts: 749 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, ishootblanks, can I?????
  • Options
    biganimalbiganimal Member Posts: 135 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    you can take deer in ny's northern zone with ANY centerfire cartridge legally. this is another one of the silly laws here in ny.Can you imagine shooting deer with a 17Rem or 218 bee ? I do make headshots with my rifles when I have a decent rest and the lighting and my scope allow it. So I guess that a 22-250 isn't out of the question.another law we have here is really crazy! You cannot hunt with a rifle in the southern zone, you must use a shotgun or handgun. The handgun I use is a custom built T/c Encore in 338/06, tell me what the difference between this pistol and my 30/06 rifle is.
  • Options
    218Beekeep218Beekeep Member Posts: 3,033
    edited November -1
    I resemble that remark!!!!
    Will the last reb to leave flarda,please bring the flag?