In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Rem. Sportsman 48 Aouto 12G

218Beekeep218Beekeep Member Posts: 3,033
edited September 2001 in Ask the Experts
Is the 48 sportsman a good design? There is one for around $265.,in real nice shape in 12 Guage-skeet choke .I know the dealer will come down to around $190. Would it be a good deal for me? What is the gun in skeet worth to a guy like me who knows nothin` about no skeets ner how ta cook `em?
Will the last reb to leave flarda,please bring the flag?

Comments

• Options
    RembrandtRembrandt Member Posts: 4,486 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Beekeep, those skeet's are mighty tasty with ketchup and horseradish sauce.....but you have to boil them for a real long time...I usually skin mine with a shotgun while they are in the air. Gotta be careful hogs don't eat them, contain pitch and not a good thing for pigs to eat.
  • Options
    AdamsQuailHunterAdamsQuailHunter Member Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    1. You have shortened up your "name" - the "er" is gone.2. The Model 48 is the immediate ancestor of the 11-48. The "guts" on the inside are basically the same as the Browning "humpback", just a little cleaner lines. I don't have a Model 48, but I do have an 11-48 in 28 gauge. In "open" stuff - palmetto & pine flatwoods it is a quail/snipe machine. The price - $190 or so sounds good. If you find you don't like it you can always put it on your table and sell it off.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Rem,Adams,I knew you two were hangin` roun` ,and I expected to here from you both . Rem,I like lots of ketchup on burgers & fries and such,but not on game,ya see,it takes away the game flaver that I like so good.Is this gun good for anythin` but skeets??,`cause it says skeets right there on that there barrel!!! Adams,I lost my user name right off of that there reply thang I`m typin` on.When I tried to get it back,that dern admin said it was already took by somebody else.They even took my E-Mail address and I had ta * a nother a them too!!![This message has been edited by 218Beekeep (edited 09-11-2001).]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Come on guys ,that wasn`t a whole lot of info,Adams,I`ve seen you type more words about guns neither of us would be caught dead holdin`, it`s 12 guage/ skeet choke ...would you hunt quail with it,or would it take a lot of the sport out of it for a feller with your skill? Rem,I know you got better recipes for skeets than that.
  • Options
    legn4legn4 Member Posts: 481 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    218bk, yes son you can take it quail hunting. My dad had one in 20ga. but my first love is a A-5.
    Work'n like a dog all nite
  • Options
    edited November -1
    218Beekeep"er":You are probably at the gun show in Lakeland this weekend and won't see this until Monday, but here goes.What can I tell you. Its made on the Browning pattern - it should run like a Singer sewing machine. I like the way my 11-48 comes to my shoulder much better than the 1100 I have. That's why I hunt with it and leave the 1100 at home. If its going to be close - tight cover, then I am going to use the Ithaca double barrel. With the skeet choke you should be "ok" on fairly close in birds.I don't think I would be using it in the dove field with the skeet choke unless I had a blind on the end of the field they were entering from and waited until they in close. If they were flying 40 ax-handles high - I would drag the 1100 out of the truck - put the full choke barrel on and use it.I would not use it in the "Big Bend" costal marsh area on rails. Not because it wouldn't do the job, but because the salt spray would literally make it rust in front of your eyes. I have an Ithaca 37 that looks like it has been dragged around behind your pickup for a day or two, but is mechanically reliable that I use for hunting rails. I dislike pumps even more than I do double triggers, but they have their useful purposes.In any of these hunting situations - I really don't have much skill. I merely try to put a lot of pellets in the air and hopefully something will blunder into the pattern.Lastly the price is in the right ball-park. If you don't like it for some reason - you can always put it on your table at a gun show and easily get your money back.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    218Beekeep"er" - just bubbling this back up to the top so you will see it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    AdamsQuailHunt"er",Thanks ,now that`s the Quail man kind of response we`re used to around here!!....Thanks for takin` the time,I knew who to ask!!