In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

side-by-side 410 value

lonegunman68lonegunman68 Member Posts: 88 ✭✭
edited September 2001 in Ask the Experts
In 1970 my dad purchased a "ugarteburu" 410 side-by-side shotgun while he was stationed in Spain. At the time he paid somewhere around $200.00 for it. It's a gorgeous gun with lots of engraving and a beautiful stock. Is anyone familiar with this brand or gun maker and is the shotgun worth keeping?

Comments

• Options
    laxcoachlaxcoach Member Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Need some more info--such as sidelock or boxlock, and any other markings such as model number, etc. The sidelocks were very high grade guns and command big dollars, whereas the boxlocks were utliitarian and are priced accordingly.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Being a rank amatuer on the subject of shotguns I do not know the difference between a sidelock and a boxlock. What do I look for?The other markings on the gun are as follows:EIBRR, 1040 G mo, 12 M/MR 70, 1000 KGS and the serial number starting with the letters M.U.
  • Options
    laxcoachlaxcoach Member Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lonegunman, As far as sidelocks vs boxlocks are concerned, a sidelock gun has plates that extend into the stock, as opposed to a boxlock, which has the frame squared off at the stock. True sidelock guns have the firing mechanism behind these plates. As to value of your piece, I'm hesitant to put a value on it from your description, and defer to others on the site. However, I'm fairly sure that this may be a four-figure gun!! Are you sure that the spelling of the manufacturer is correct?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    laxcoach, I double checked with my dad and the gun is a sidelock and the manufacture name on the shotgun is "M-UGARTEBURU EIBRR". There is also a number stamped on the trigger guard "M108". I dont know if this is a possible model number. Do you know or can you point me to a reputable gun appraiser, my dad is interested in selling it. Thanks for all of your help. Please e-mail me at lonegunman68@netscape.netMichael
  • Options
    AdamsQuailHunterAdamsQuailHunter Member Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    At one time there were a bunch and still are a number of small "family" gunmakers in the Eibar region of Spain. One of the largest of them - AyA (Aguirre Y Aranzabal) managed to develop a fairly sizable export business to the United States.About the only way that I can get at a "sort" of value is to try to compare it to an AyA model. Based on your verbal description and not having any pictures or the shotgun in hand, I am going to have to think that it might be close to the AyA model 117 hammerless double except that it is in 410 gauge instead of their 20 gauge. Not having been to Arizona and knowing nothing about quail/snipe country there, if any - a quality 410 double would bring a slight premium over a 20 gauge in quail/snipe country. Bottom line is, I would speculate you are looking at a value somewhere between $800-$1000.The same people who publish "Blue Book of Gun Value" which is Blue Book Publications, Inc., will do an appraisal, but it will cost you some money and take about a month. It could well be the best money and time you have ever spent.[This message has been edited by AdamsQuailHunter (edited 09-18-2001).]
  • Options
    AntiqueDrAntiqueDr Member Posts: 691 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would bet the gun is actually a UGARTECHEA, prior to 1994.We're interested. Contact us via the link below.
    We buy, sell and trade quality guns and scopes!Ask us about Shepherd Scopes!Visit our website at www.ApaxEnterprises.com