In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

stevens model 66B

billybob31billybob31 Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
edited September 2001 in Ask the Experts
a friend has a stevens model 66B tube fed bolt action that has on the barrel stevens buckhorn special! it has a rear peep sight & a small peep front sight! he ask me to look it up for him for when it was made & what it was worth ! i have the blue book of guns & the 2001 copy from gun list but its not listed in them ? i have never encountered a stevens 66B before & cannot help him ! i would appreciate any input & cannot understand why it is not in my books ?thanksbillybob31
billybob31

Comments

• Options
    j2k22j2k22 Member Posts: 329 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    BB- most of the "Blue Book" type catalogs don't bother to detail the various models of >22's unless they are Winchester or Remington. Gun Traders Guide has very good coverage of this class of rifle. There is also a book out that covers all Savage and Stevens models. I will look up the manufacture dates for you later today. Value is generally limited around $100, unless the condition is really outstanding. They are really good shooters, and very durable.
  • Options
    218Beekeep218Beekeep Member Posts: 3,033
    edited November -1
    billybob31,I have been into savage/stevens for a while,I`ll be looking into my books tonight and will get back to ya.The sights on some of those old guns are worth as much as the guns,sometimes.
    Will the last reb to leave flarda,please bring the flag?
  • Options
    billybob31billybob31 Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    j2k22 & 218beekeep thanks for your help!1bill
    billybob31
  • Options
    edited November -1
    BB- Gun Traders Guide puts the dates of manufacture between 1935-1948. The sights on those rifles were nothing special, and do not command any high prices, as was implied above. I just purchased the type of receiver sight that you have for $20. The peep-equipped rifles were relatively scarce, and would sell for more than an open-sighted version, but still don't bring much more than $100.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    j2k22,my books do not give a name for a sight manufacturer on this gun.What brand name do you have on the ones that you bought??
  • Options
    edited November -1
    218- The sights were manufactured by Stevens.There was also an option for a Lyman 55 rear sight, which is the one I bought.The Stevens peep was a relatively simple arrangement of stampings. You can find a picture of it in the Gun Parts Corp catalog, although they do not have any complete sights for sale. The front was a hooded ramp ( model 100) with three interchangeable inserts. The rear peep was Stevens model 105. The definitive resource for this subject is Nick Stroebel's book, "Old Gunsights."
  • Options
    edited November -1
    j2k22,I have several Lymon 55 receiver sights ,and must tell you that I think you got a deal(or steal)at $20.I will often buy a gun just for the sights,and Lymon,Marbles and a few others are what I`m always lookin` fer.