In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Mauser vs Nagant

Hogans_AlleyHogans_Alley Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
edited September 2001 in Ask the Experts
Thank you Supermonkey and Chemens for your input on which nagant I should look at for purchase. Now I have one last question for those who may wish to chime in. In my quest for a M39 I saw a mauser for the first time (yes I am a newbie), I believe it was a Yugo. Is it simply a matter of esthetics or is one of these rifles a better performer than the other. Any suggestions would be welcome.Once again thanks in advance.Tom

Comments

• Options
    kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Both are great weapons, there is no doubt, personally I like the Mausers better, they are just more appealing to my eye ...If you want to dress it up or customize it, there are alot more choices for the Mauser, stocks, barrels, sights ... recoil pads ... well actually not recoil pads, but if someone started make'em they would have a heck of a market ... watch out for that 8mm surplus ammo, it kicks like a p.o.'ed mule1
    GUN CONTROL: If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention!kimberkid@gunbroker.zzn.com
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • Options
    modocmodoc Member Posts: 474 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi there,You only have to talk to people who build custom rifles for a living.Of all bolt actions used for customs the 98 Mauser is number one.Customers ask for the Winchester pre 64 model 70 the most,but the # one choice of builders choose the Mauser 90% of the time.I have yet heard of anyone asking to build a custom on a Nagant.Have you??That speaks volumns for the Mauser and says nothing for that other thing.They are cute little guns but nobody takes them seriousely. Except to include one in a military collection like they do with carcanos and others that are cheap.Sorry if this offends you but you did ask for opinions.modoc
  • Options
    Hogans_AlleyHogans_Alley Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    No offense taken at all. This is going to be my first purchase and I want to get something worth buying. I appreciate the feedback from both people. Thanks again.
  • Options
    Der GebirgsjagerDer Gebirgsjager Member Posts: 1,673 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Two points: (1) How many nations chose the Mauser as their military rifle vs. how many chose the Nagant? (2) Hold a '98 Mauser with a bent bolt handle to your shoulder, fire (or dry fire) and without lowering the rifle, cycle the bolt, and fire again. Now, do the same with the Nagant. You'll at least find great difficulty in doing this with the Nagant. Being "double jointed" would help. Yes, you will have the same difficulty with a straight bolt Mauser; but the Germans corrected the situation, and the Russians never did. Also, the Mauser cocks much more smoothly; which is why Modoc is correct about Mausers being the custom rifle of choice (although I've seen some interesting Nagant attempts). Go Mauser.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    The Yugo Mausers have a very nice finish to them. So far as accuracy goes, they are going to be as accurate as any other 8mm in similar shape. Swedish Mausers in 6.5 are probably going to be more accurate.
    Wenn alles richtig ist, dann stimmt 'was nicht. -Nena (When everything is going right, something is bound to be wrong.)
  • Options
    theheadthehead Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I own both a 1908 Brazilian Mauser (bent bolt) and a Mosin Nagant (straight bolt) I find that they are both terrific shooters but I am far more comfortable holding and firing the Mosin. Rechambering a round is a good point, it is somewhat awkward until you realize you must use a completely different hand motion from the one you use with a mauser. I find using mostly my palm works. It could just be my own preference, but I think the Mosin is more accurate than the Mauser. The mosin and mauser are both extremely cheap. I'd suggest buy one of each and decide.