In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

H&K .45 TACTICAL

albatross007albatross007 Member Posts: 37 ✭✭
edited September 2001 in Ask the Experts
Is H&K .45 Tactical as or more reliable than a Glock 21? And is a Glock as or more accurate than a H&K .45? If you where me which of these guns would you buy?

Comments

• Options
    JudgeColtJudgeColt Member Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In my experience, the reliability and accuracy are essentially the same. As far as long-term durability, I suspect the Glock would be the more durable of the two, but then there are lots of reports of Glock blowups, particularly with the .45 that should give one pause. The pistols are so different that you should try both before deciding. One of the major differences is in the grip angle. For me, the H-K points naturally (like a M1911), while the Glock does not. The grip angle is what I like least about the Glock pistols.Another major difference is the fact that the H-K can be had with a safety. I prefer a safety on on a handgun, and I have an ambidextrous safety on my H-K USP .45. I have always wondered why Glocks were so popular with law enforcement, when I am told that the chance of a law officer getting shot are greatest with his or her own gun. Anyone who gets a Glock in his or her hand has only to pull the trigger and it goes bang. Everyone knows the trigger is what is supposed to fire a gun, even a child. A pistol with a safety on will not fire so easily. Gun writer Massad Ayoob did a test years ago where he handed an on-safe Smith & Wesson pistol to people at a range and asked them to fire a round down range as soon as they could. These were people at least familiar enough with firearms to be at a range, and the times to get off a shot varied from many seconds to never. (I do not recall the range of times now, but several were well over a minute, which would give a disarmed officer pleanty of time to get away.) The point of the test was to prove the safety value of carrying on-safe. Ayoob maintained that there had not been a documented case of an officer being shot because he or she forgot to disengage the safety before attempting to shoot, while he related some of the many documented cases where the on-safe handgun saved the officer from being shot. For a house gun that will be stored loaded, the safety is an added measure of security should an unauthorized person get hold of the pistol. Anyone (like a curious child) who picks up a Glock has only to pull the trigger to fire it.The pre-ban Glock .45 will hold 13+1, while the H-K USP is limited to 10+1, unless you can find one of the rare USP pre-ban 12-round magazines, which will give you 12+1. H-K magazines are all steel, and all drop free, unlike some Glock magazines. Not much real difference here. I have both, and prefer the H-K by a huge margin. However, hundreds of thousands of people disagee with me and prefer the Glock, so you had best try both before deciding. Let us know what you decide.