In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

dillon reloader question

SUBMARINERSUBMARINER Member Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2003 in Ask the Experts
if i buy a dillon square deal b or a 550 can i use my lee dies i have already purchased or do i have to buy dillon dies?

SUBMARINE SAILOR,TRUCK DRIVER,RUSTY WALLACE FAN AND AS EVERYONE SO OFTEN POINTS OUT PISS POOR TYPIST e-mail alisonandwalt@charter.net

Comments

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can use any standard 7/8 x 14 die in a Dillon. However, some dies will give less than satisfactory use: The dies should have a radius on the lead-in part of the die for easier seating. In addition, Dillon recommends that you use separate bullet seating & crimping dies for pistol cartridges, although some combination dies will work satisfactorily.

At first I used Lyman & Herter dies in my 550, but eventually replaced all of them with Dillon dies; I found that they worked a lot better for me.

Neal
  • Options
    kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't have a Square Deal loader but it seems I've read you must use special (read Dillon) dies for it ...

I do have a 550 and a 550B, both will take standard dies for pistol and rifle, I prefer the Dillon pistol dies, for rifle I like Hornady Custom Grade dies but have never tried the Dillon rifle dies.

===========================
    Chance favors the prepared mind
    kimberkid@gunbroker.zzn.com
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • Options
    ThrockmortonThrockmorton Member Posts: 814 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The square deal machine uses special Dillon-made dies. It also only reloads pistol calibers..but it does it nicely.
    the 550b will load rifle and pistol,and use most any brand die,but make sure the sizer is radiused for ease of entry,as mentioned in earlker post.]
    I really like my 550 b,BTW.

Throckmortons' the alias,cas is the game.
  • Options
    dustyholdustyhol Member Posts: 282 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a 650 and generally prefer Lee dies. However, I have noticed that the Lee dies seem to be shorter than others and I have to screw them in so far that the lock rings are useless (no thread left exposed). Anyone else had this problem?

"Practice is the best of all instructors."

Publilius Syrus
  • Options
    aby80aby80 Member Posts: 245 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can use most any brand dies in the 550B Press. Some of the shorter Lee dies can be used by turning the locking rings upside down and use them that way. They just barely lock the dies in position but I have had no problems using a couple different clibers of Lee dies.

If you don't care where you are going, you can't get lost.
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    and remember bubblehead, pointy end of the bullet goes up. btw...do the names john marshall and polk ring a bell? regards....

former air operations officer SEAL Delivery Vehicle Team 2. former navy skeet team, navy rifle/pistol team member. co-owner skeetmaster tubes inc.. owner/operator professional shooting instruction.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    RhondaRhonda Member Posts: 183 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Square Deal uses a die specific to that press only. Depending upon how old your Lee dies are they may or may not work. Years ago Lee and Dillon had a disagreement so Lee short threaded his dies so they would not work in the Dillon tool head. This practise was terminated a few years ago so....................depends upon when your dies were made. If you have an old set you can sometimes make them work by reversing the lock ring, running it up from the bottom. Will not work in all applications but is an option to purchasing a new die set.
  • Options
    RhondaRhonda Member Posts: 183 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    To clarify, all info in my previous message pertains to the 550 series except the one sentence specific to the Square Deal!