In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Choke size in inches........

muleymuley Member Posts: 1,583 ✭✭
edited September 2002 in Ask the Experts
Hey fellas, I used to know these things but I guess "old timers" disease is getting the best of me. I have an Ithaca 37 barrel in full choke and want to ream it out to modified. What is the diameter in inches of a modified choke?
Thanks for the info.

muley

**I love the smell of Hoppes #9 in the morning**

Comments

• Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,965 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Muley, Briley uses .20 constriction from the bore diameter, which can vary, for lead shot. There is some variation in the amount of constriction manufacturers use.

A balanced diet is a cookie in each hand

Edited by - He Dog on 08/30/2002 18:24:33
  • Options
    edited November -1
    He Dog.....Thanks for the info. I had one done years ago, but I think I want to do this myself this time. I've got an old barrel that is bulged about 2 inches from the end, so if I mess this up, I won't lose much. If I am successful, I will do the same thing to the good barrel. I've got another question, though....how long is the choke on a plain barrel? I mean, how far into the barrel do you go before you reach the normal bore diameter?
    Thanks for the help.
    muley

• Options
    edited November -1
    Um, I just had Briley bore out my fixed chokes and thread for screw ins. I would have to go home and put a ruler down it.

• Options
    edited November -1
    Perhaps the best thing to do would be to measure the current choke constriction and use the length in reconfiguring. You might also consider lengthening the forcing cones if you want a real project. Then, let's go pheasant hunting!

• Options
    edited November -1
    He Dog....Great advice. I'll try it. I was just getting up the nerve to do a little reaming. My neighbor had a wheel cylinder honer that he used on some foreign rig. Should work nice. Thanks for the input.

muley

• Options
    LSandBincLSandBinc Member Posts: 216 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Assuming this is a 12 gauge your talking about my Colonial Arms catolog puts a modified at .710 constriction. The tubes I put in are 1 5/8" deep, I would start honing from at least that deep.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    LSandBinc......Thanks for the tip and it sure sounds about right. I haven't done it yet because I was invited to babysit my granddaughters today. Darn it! And, yes its a 12 GA.
    Thanks again...
    muley

• Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Muley- Why not cut the bulged barrel down to 26 or 25" and have a gunsmith thread it for Colonial choke tubes. You can save your Full choke for geese or trap.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Why didn't I think of that? I told you I was getting "old timers" disease! Now, I will end up with two good barrels.
    Thanks all for the good advice.

muley

• Options
    edited November -1
    Hey Muley, I just had Briley bore out a fixed choke Franchi and thread for Briley chokes. Including 5 chokes, the job came to $370. I had the forcing cones lengthened for $110. Thought you might like some comparison costs when you go by the local smithy.

Edited by - He Dog on 09/02/2002 17:22:47
  • Options
    LSandBincLSandBinc Member Posts: 216 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Muley, I put in Tru-Choke style chokes $60.00 to ream and thread plus chokes $17.00 and up. For compairison sake. Alan