In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Thanks for the info everyone.

PauperPauper Member Posts: 117 ✭✭
edited August 2004 in Ask the Experts
Thanks for any help in advance.

Comments

• Options
    PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    I have found that Mec-Gar magazines are good quality. They make a lot of the mags for the firearms manufacturers.
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,549 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do you mean magazines?
    Do you own all those guns?

Why do you want to know this info?

At the top right hand corner of this forum is a search feature.

Sorry to be shory with you but that is a very broad question.

Regards,
    gadsden.jpg
  • Options
    gotstolefromgotstolefrom Member Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    First off, you have to know that nobody makes good aftermarket magazines for a suite of styles and manufacture. There are probably more aftermarkets that are a POS than there are companies that make good ones. The post may just give you a bunch of muddy responses, with no clear 'winner' mag maker. ANYWAY, here is what I've found, which is limited to say the least. Maybe it will spark a few other comments.

45 ACP Colt,SA,Lahma
    I have had good luck with McCormick 8 rd 45acp magazines. They are the same size as a 7 round (i.e. no extension for 8th round), are stainless, and are not as expensive as the Wilson Combat mags. Some folks say they have had trouble with the mag holding the slide open after it was empty. I have this problem with 1 of the 12 mags I have, and only on my SA 1911A1. I can't see why just one works with my other 45's and not the SA, the other McCormicks work fine in it.(Have not tried them in Kimber)

Rugers
    Mini 14, I have several non-ruger magazines that work only because I had to 'true' the top of them on a belt sander or cheat the front hole with a dremmel. I have re-blued the sanded corners and they don't look so good, but they do work now. If you have the cash, you would want to stay with 'factory mags', although I saved about half or better if you place no value on my time.

My 10/22's have mostly factory mags, but a couple of hot-lips do work. My son bought a high cap mag for the gun that stays in the truck, it is plastic, but it fits. I imagine it will get broken (wish?), since it sticks out so much and is plastic.
    (lil sht spent half what I paid for the gun)

AK's
    Primarily MAK90's, use most any of the cheap steel mags with the rib down the back. A couple seem to have weak springs and don't always feed the last 2 or 3 rounds well. At less than $10 each I have no complaint.

SKS
    Any of those lovely metal duck-bills have fit-up for me, eventually. I usually just strip clip, even if a hi-cap is in there.
    I don't think anyone could use the duck-bills in the heat of the moment. Forget an 'AK style conversion', I have seen a couple that are more frustrating than the duck bill would have been.

Hi- Power
    I have one non-factory that works, and I don't know where it came from. No success with other non-factory, but I have only tried 1 or 2 over the years.

Glock (21)
    I have no need for more mags, and none are non-glock.

If we do not hang together,
    We will most certainly hang separately.