In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Steyr M-95 Ammo ??????

cookiescookies Member Posts: 74 ✭✭
edited August 2004 in Ask the Experts
I got the M-95 but do not know what type of 8mm ammo it shoots. The markings on the gun are as follows: On the top of the barrel it has a large "S". Closer the breach it has a 1 and a 5 flanking what looks like a backward f. To the right of the 5 is a large "L"
That is basically it. The serial # is 4810 I if that helps.
Thanks in advance for your help!!

Comments

• Options
    METCOMETCO Member Posts: 769 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    COOKIES,
    the large s indicates it was converted to 8x56r from the old 8x50r
    a lot of 8x56r surplus ammo available (corrosive)
    old western scrounger reloading 8x56r (expensive)
    metco

ps you do have the straight pull steyr ???
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I went through my references after you posed your question, I couldn't find any reference to the Model 95 Steyr, straight-pull rifle being marked with a "S" on the chamber.

I did find reference to the Model 88, "Commission Rifle" that was also manufactured by Steyr. These "S" marked rifles were chambered for the 7.92 x 57mm rimless cartridge, (.323 ) that was adopted by the German Military in 1903.

It's also possible your rifle is a Model 95/24 Short Rifle. These were Model 95 straight-pull Mannlichers, converted after the First World War to take the standard 7.92 x 57mm rimless German Military cartridge.

luger_4.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    rufe & cookies
    pull up my profile, then pull up post on steyr.
    we went through this last week.
    with respect
    metco
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    cookies,

I am most certainly not going to try to guess what cartridge your rifle is chambered for. I don't know for sure.

But I do know enough to tell you that since there is some question as to what the chamber is, I always do a chamber cast and then measure the cast to determine what cartridge is correct. There is no sense in taking any chances with your safety. If you are not up to doing the casting, take it to a gunsmith for his/her expertise.

This should not be construed as a criticism of any other posters at all. It is merely the way that I handle this particular situation.

Best of luck!
  • Options
    cookiescookies Member Posts: 74 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good advice from all of you. Thanks!!
    It is a straight pull model, by the way.
    I am more concerned for my safety than anyone!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    NONONSENSE,
    THANK YOU !!!
    for your solid sane advice. i for one am guilty of thinking that being right is more important than being safe.
    it is a lesson well learned.
    with respect
    metco
    ed
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    I have two of these guns and both have the S stamp over the chamber, whether references list it or not. 99% sure it is in 8X56R.

"...hit your enemy in the belly, and kick him when he is down, and boil his prisoners in oil- if you take any- and torture his women and children. Then people will keep clear of you..." -Admiral of the Fleet Lord Fisher, speaking at the Hague Peace Conf
  • Options
    1KYDSTR1KYDSTR Member Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The "S" above the chamber position is an indication that this old M-95 long rifle or Stutzen gun was rechambered to the 8x56R from the original 8x50R as previously stated. This was called the S-31 conversion, done by the Austrian government starting in about 1931 and was an attempt to upgun the rather aenemic performance of the older round. It's performance in a small 6 lb. rifle is spectacular from the shooters perspective, but it does not seem to have a ft lb at the muzzle performance level in proportion to its percieved result at the butt stock. Regardless of the low cost of these guns, they are neat and mine performs quite admirably! Make sure you put hot soapy water down that barrel after firing surplus ammo!

"When I cease learning...I'm dead"(Me)
    "Power corrupts...Absolute power corrupts absolutely"(Descartes?)
    "History is written by winners"(Patton)
    "You get a lot farther with a kind word and a gun than you do with a kind word alone!"(Al Capone)
    "There is nothing lower than the human race...except the French" (Samuel Clemens)
  • Options
    DaveFDaveF Member Posts: 75 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't know if this has been mentioned anywhere else, but if it is in fact an 8 X 56R, Lee are now making loading dies, a C329-205-1R bullet mold, and a .329 sizer die for that caliber.