In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

contured barrel???

Tom2moTom2mo Member Posts: 47 ✭✭
edited August 2004 in Ask the Experts
can anyone tell me the purpose of a contured barrel on a Rem. 1100. What's it mean?

Comments

• Options
    Salvage33Salvage33 Member Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A contoured barrel is one that has a certain amount of taper from the chamber to the muzzle. One of the purposes is to remove weight which is good if you are planning to lug it up and down mountains all day. "Bull" barreled rifles are usually NOT contoured, i.e.; the O.D. of the barrel is the same from the receiver to the muzzle.

Hope this helps.

John

A friend will post your bail. A good friend will be sitting next to you in the cell saying, "man that was fun!"
  • Options
    MooseyardMooseyard Member Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A contoured barrel on a shotgun? That is new to me.

Jess Hoffman
    Mooseyard Precision
    LE Supply & Firearms
    NRA Certified Instructor
    Shawano, WI 54166
  • Options
    CountryGunsmithCountryGunsmith Member Posts: 617 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Barrel 'contour' refers to the taper in OD from breech to muzzle (oversimplified). Most often applicable to rifles, with the thickest being a barrel that does not taper and remains the same diameter throughout its length. That's usually called a 'Heavy Bull Barrel' or '#5 Contour' or something along those lines depending on the barrelmaker. The thinnest, or barrel with the most contour, is the 'pencil barrel' or '#1 contour' which has a dramatic taper to a muzzle OD minimally larger than the bore. You get the picture.

Remington makes a Light Contour barrel for the 11-87. It does have a more pronounced taper, or contour, and is smaller in OD than the Standard Contour barrel. The idea was to trim some weight. However, it does pose one small problem... Although either contour barrel will fit any 11-87 receiver, the FOREND may not interchange. You might have to relieve the light-contour forend for the standard-contour barrel, or just use a standard-contour forend with either barrel.

Clear as mud?

Scrappy Doo sleeps with the fishes.
  • Options
    MooseyardMooseyard Member Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks Country, I had never heard of that before. You learn something new everyday[:D]

Jess Hoffman
    Mooseyard Precision
    LE Supply & Firearms
    NRA Certified Instructor
    Shawano, WI 54166
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,978 ******
    edited November -1
    OR DO YOU MEAN A CANTILVERED SCOPE MOUNT? THAT IS A SCOPE MOUNT FASTENED TO THE BARREL BUT EXTENDING BACK OVER THE RECIEVER