In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

High Standard Grips I.D.?

TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
edited August 2004 in Ask the Experts
I'm trying to find out who made these grips to make a search for a replacement pair a little easier. They are for a H/S mod. "B". The ones with one screw hole say H/S on them but won't fit this gun. Does anyone know of somewhere I can get these copied in wood? This gun has a great amount of sentimental value to my uncle, so cost won't be a factor.
IDAHOTRIP031.jpg
IDAHOTRIP030.jpg
IDAHOTRIP029.jpg
IDAHOTRIP028.jpg

"Aim small...Miss small"

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello your grips were made by POINTER PRODUCTS MONTEBELLO CALIF I think the ones you have will fit early model "PRE WAR" colt woodsman if they won't fit your HIGH STANDARD quote:"PRAISE THE HARDBALL GUN
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Perry, are they still in business? Did a search and came up empty.

"Aim small...Miss small"
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hello TRAPS 55 I think this company is long gone my grips are from 1948 I neeed to know exactly what you are looking to buy as far as I know Pointer Products only made grips that are a type of plastic "both white and Brown" fitze also made grips for these guns COLT & HIGH STANDARD as well as factory Cheers Karl
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Karl, The one set that fits, were broken and glued back together. The other set I got at a gunshow hoping they were the same. What I need is similar style grips(target style,thumbrest,extend longer than the frame) and can be made from just about anything. I found a company on the web that would make exact copies from these, but after 2 months of searches, I can't find that site again! I would like to get something nice for him, the gun is real important to him. Any help would be "greatly" appreciated.

"Aim small...Miss small"
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    if the 1 screw grips say hi std, then they are. and to be exact, they will fit only a 101 series gun. it ws the only gun series with one screw in the grip. the 101 was the first 'push button takedown' design with the small button, not the famous and current large button like the 102 series had in 1957 to present. model b guns were also about 2" shorter in the mag well, so unfortunatley, yes, they are worthless for your gun. sell em. i will start looking around for the mfger. anyone got a lead on beklmyer?

former air operations officer SEAL Delivery Vehicle Team 2. former navy skeet team, former navy rifle/pistol team member. co-owner skeetmaster tubes inc.. owner/operator professional shooting instruction.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Bobski, Dead on! I just noticed(OK..I put my glasses on!) inside the left panel it says:
    "The Pointer"
    By W.Murad
    San Carlos,Calif
    No.101
    I thought there was nothing written in them, but that was the other set that fit the "B". Know of anybody that can copy these in wood?

"Aim small...Miss small"
  • Options
    edited November -1
    HELLO TRAPS55 YOU MIGHT GET BOBSKI TO CONFIRM BUT I THINK WHEN HS WENT FROM THE SHORT GRIP FRAME TO THE OLDER LONG GRIP FRAME THE GRIPS WOULD FIT BOTH. I WOULD PUT ON THIS SITES WISH LIST AND HERE IN Va. THERE ARE DEALERS THAT DEAL IN GRIPS AND CLIPS ONLY MAYBE YOUR LOCAL SHOWS. KARL
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Trap55
    I'm going to be parting out a First Generation HS "Olympic", if Bobski say's the grips will fit on your frame, I'll send them to ya.

Whittemore
    Some guys like a mag full of lead, I still prefer one round to the head.
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    grip companies cashed in on the short frame problem of the model b and made grips to add the extra length for customers. when hi std fixed the problem with the model a in 1938, the need went away. i think you got the colt and the hi std mixed up, perry. if you remember, around the same time, colt did this to their famous 'bullseye match' first issue 22 gun with the elephant ear grips. they lengthened the grips for shooters complaining of a short grip frame. i believe colt grips off of early woodsman and bulleye match guns will interchange, not hi stds. now...if only we can find that compnay that will duplicate grips, 55 will be set.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Capt. Kirk, could you please let this go a few more before it gets locked? I really appreciate the help guys, This means alot to me.
    KARL, Been to every gunshow within traveling distance, and the 101 grips are the only non-stock H/S grips I've run across that come close.
    TAILGUNNER, Thats a very generous offer, I won't forget you made it. I'm not sure that the Olympic grips will fit though.
    BOBSKI, I remember you telling me the mod. B won't interchange with anything else??? Not the early Woodsman either?
    I've been extremely lucky in the past finding oddball or obsolete parts, but this time I've been chasing my tail in circles. Probably because I need it so bad!

"Aim small...Miss small"
  • Options
    edited November -1
    HELLO I WILL PRINT OFF YOUR PICTURES AND BE ON THE LOOK OUT I HAVE A FONDNESS FOR HIGH STANDARD I MADE THE MAYLEIGH CUP AT CAMP PERRY WITH ONE YEARS AGO BUT ALL OF MINE ARE MODEL 102 AND NEWER GOOD LUCK KARL