In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Keystone Arms

ajp3012ajp3012 Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
edited August 2004 in Ask the Experts
My young neigbor showed me a Keystone Arms shotgun dated 1883 that had just come into his possession through a family member. I had never heard of the maker but it is a beauty, with damascus barrels of what appears to be a gage larger than 12. The kid wants to know if anyone knows anything about this maker or anything interesting about the gun.
Thanks
ajp3012

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My reference notes that the "Keystone Arms Co" is a tradename used on shotguns sold by the Edward K. Tryon, Co. of Philadelphia PA.

Since it's dated 1883, it MIGHT? have been actually manufactured by Tryon, rather then a subcontractor. If it is and it's in the fine factory original condition you describe. It might have some interest/value to a collector, as the Tryon company was in business for over 150 years and manufactured some very historical firearms that have substantial collectors value.

luger_4.jpg
  • Options
    captkirk3@dslextreme.comcaptkirk3@dslextreme.com Member Posts: 3,804
    edited November -1
    Don't know if TRYON made any guns or not.....Like Rufe-Snow....I only find that Keystone was a Tradename used by TRYON...Dismount the Barrels and check for Proof Marks on the Underside of the Barrels...It theres an oval with the letters ELG in an Oval...then its Belguim made...anything else You might find...post it so that We can have a close look at it......We're here to help....best....

Captain Kirk, Tech Staff
  • Options
    bill2740bill2740 Member Posts: 886 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Keystone Arms Shotgun, 12 ga., single shot, 36" barrel,
    hammer, auto ejector, full choke, mfg in the 1930's. The case colors
    on the receive are in exc. condition.

Bill
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bill2740
    I have a Keystone Arms Shotgun, 12 ga., single shot, 36" barrel,
    hammer, auto ejector, full choke, mfg in the 1930's. The case colors
    on the receive are in exc. condition.

Bill

If it does date to the 1930's it probably was made by Stevens as Crescent was out of business by then. It would be classed as a "Store Brand", utility gun with minimal value. Their would be quite a difference between a double made by Tryon in the 19th Century and a single made by a subcontractor in the 20th.

luger_4.jpg