In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

IMI 5.56/.223 surplus quality

David C.David C. Member Posts: 24 ✭✭
edited August 2004 in Ask the Experts
I see good prices for 1000 rds of Israel(i) Military Industries/Winchester 5.56/.223 ammo. Supposedly its military surplus from Israel manfactured in the 90's. I'm considering a Saiga .223 and/or a .223 handi-rifle, and I was ammo pricing as a part of my rifle budget.
What's the quality of this ammo?
Thanks,

David

Comments

• Options
    PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    I have been happy with IMI products. They make a lot of commercial products as well. I buy a lot of their bullets for reloading.
  • Options
    David C.David C. Member Posts: 24 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for your input. Have a good weekend.
    [:)]

David
  • Options
    A J ChristA J Christ Member Posts: 7,534
    edited November -1
    Found some extra hard primers on some 9mm stuff, wouldn't fire reliably out of my Keltec but my SIG did just fine with it. Quality seems to be at least equal to anything made in the USA and far better than some other stuff out there.
  • Options
    ern98ern98 Member Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A few years ago there was some real bad IMI surplus .223 around. Literally 1/3 of a batch had no powder in the case. I ended up having to weigh each and every to pick out the good ones from the bad.
    If the price is too good to be true........
  • Options
    RaoulRaoul Member Posts: 136 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've generally had real good luck with IMI products, but back in the late 1990's I got some .308/7.62 Nato reloads in IMI brass that had bad brass. You couldn't tell by looking at them, but after firing it was evident that they were dangerous. I was shooting it in an FAL, and the last round in a 20rd mag split from the neck back to the base of the case. It blew the spring, follower, and floor plate out the bottom of the mag well, and puffed the mag body up like it was pregnant. It didn't hurt the FAL or me, but I don't buy reloads anymore!