In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Arsenal - Urban legend?

onehalf_moaonehalf_moa Member Posts: 25 ✭✭
edited August 2004 in Ask the Experts
Hi Folks, new to the forum here. I have heard for several years now that there is a maximum number of firearms that an individual US citizen can own. I have searched the internet for the definition of an "ARSENAL" and cannot find it. Do any of you have any info on this, and, if so, where can I find it on the web?

TNX...

God made some men big and some men small, Col. Colt made 'em equal...

Comments

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No such law, but definitely not an urban legend.

A few years ago there was a legislative proposal to limit the number of rounds of ammo that an individual could have in his "arsenal". Fortunately, it never went far. I don't recall that it limited the number of guns that an individual could own.

Forget the Internet for this one; you will probably have to go to your public library & read old issues of the Congressional Record.

Neal
  • Options
    GreatBeefaloGreatBeefalo Member Posts: 165 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    yeah, for a while there I was hearing about limited ammo stocks (supposedly it was 1000 rounds per person in a specific caliber) but thankfully that crap storm blew over. and also thankfully we can stockpile as many guns as we want...within reason.

Whenever you find a man who says he doesn't believe in a real Right and Wrong, you will find the same man going back on this a moment later.
    --C.S. Lewis
  • Options
    IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    nmyers has it - this was I believe proposed by Hillary's predecessor - the (not so) great Senator Moynihan of NY. Sadly, the absurdity of creating tens of millions of "arsenal" licensees (two bricks of .22 ammo would put anyone into the category) was a more decisive factor more than the intrinsic illegality of the concept in its defeat.

"There is nothing lower than the human race - except the french." (Mark Twain) ". . . And liberals / demoMAGGOTS" (me)