In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Most accurate 30-06 semi-auto??

ker2222ker2222 Member Posts: 188 ✭✭✭
edited August 2004 in Ask the Experts
I am looking for opinions on the most accurate semi-auto in 30-06.

I am hoping you guys will let me in on your experiences to save me some trial and error pain.

thanks

Comments

• Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    M1 garand.

former air operations officer SEAL Delivery Vehicle Team 2. former navy skeet team, former navy rifle/pistol team member. co-owner skeetmaster tubes inc.. owner/operator professional shooting instruction.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,694 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    To a large degree I think it's luck of the draw. I've seen some real accurate off-the-shelf Remington's and Brownings and I've seen others that couldn't hit the end of thier barrel.
    I like Bobski's suggestion, but for a regular sporting arm my vote would probably go to the Browning BAR.
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Options
    MFIMFI Member Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Im with Bobski although if your talking a hunting rifle then the H&K SLB 2000 has my vote.

God gave us all a gift. Have you found yours yet ?
  • Options
    D@DD@D Member Posts: 4,407
    edited November -1
    What kind of price range and what will it be used for? If your looking for a collector/shooter go with a M1.If a hunting rifle and you have the money the H&K is a nice rifle.Then theirs the Browning BAR, Remington 7400 and Remington 742.Alot of people don't like the 742 for some earlier problems they had. Never had a problem with mine. Personally if it were me I'd get a good bolt gun their more accurate and not as many parts that can break.

I don't approve of political jokes. I've seen too many of them get elected.
  • Options
    royc38royc38 Member Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bobski and MFI got it right.
  • Options
    hornethornet Member Posts: 262 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have both M1 Grand and a Browning BAR in 30.06. The M1 is a great shooting rifle but not practial for hunting. I have used my Browning BAR for 24 years and it still shoots 1 MOA all day long. If the Browning BAR is in your price range that would be the one I would go with.

Hornet
  • Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would say the M1 Garand, but isn't there a bullet weight restriction on the ammo for the Garand which would limit it for some uses. Next possible the Browning BAR w/ BOSS.
  • Options
    bigdog1bigdog1 Member Posts: 193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    for hunting go with the BAR. Most of the guys at my hunting camp at one time or another tried the 7400/742 series, but were mostly disappointed with its accuracy. One guy use the BAR, but most everybody else shoots a bolt gun... Just my .02....
  • Options
    BigGameHunter42BigGameHunter42 Member Posts: 224 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i would suggest the browning BAR , I have seen sum great results from it . but i have no personal expirience
  • Options
    MooseyardMooseyard Member Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Has anyone tried the new Benelli (R1 I think)? I think it is a goofy looking rifle, but that doesn't mean it won't shoot good.

Jess Hoffman
    Mooseyard Precision
    LE Supply & Firearms
    NRA Certified Instructor
    Shawano, WI 54166
  • Options
    pack rat633pack rat633 Member Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gotta be the BAR for hunting, M-1 Garand for everything elese. The Remingtons USUALLY are not very accurate, and they don't hold up well in the long run.

SEMPER FI MAC, SEMPER FI