In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Help identify Rem 700 model and action

ker2222ker2222 Member Posts: 188 ✭✭✭
edited August 2004 in Ask the Experts
I have recently become the new owner of a used rem model 700 in 30-06--found a great deal and I am very excited. But, being unfamiliar with the model, I have a couple of questions I was hoping to get some help with here:

1. how do I tell what model it is. Barrel writting only says model 700. Is there a way to tell from serial numbers or should I be looking somewhere else?

2. How do I know if it is long or short action? And, not to sound like an idiot, but what exactly is the difference?

3. I might want to change stocks on the rifle. What special considerations or steps have to happen to preserve and maybe even improve the rifle's accuracy?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Keith,

1) The model number is "700". If it was one of the many variations on the Model 700, it would be roll stamped on the barrel.

2) The difference between long and short actions for Remington is the length of the action. Without experience or some way to measure, it might be difficult. Using just a tape measure, the short action is 6-1/2" between the centers of the action screws. The long action is 7-3/8" between the centers of the action screws. These are just approximate for quick and easy assessment. The ejection ports are sized relative to the cartridge also. (.308 Win. = short) (30-06 Springfield = long)

3) There are dozens of books written on the subject of accuracy and rifles. The best suggestion that I can make without writing a book would be to let a gunsmith change out the stocks. You should discuss bedding the rifle, checking the crown and headspace, contact on the recoil lug, trueing and lapping the bolt and receiver, tightness of the action screws and on ...

Best of luck!
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello if it has factory barrel in 30-06 it is a long action also serial will give us an idea of date . early 700 came in ADL AND BDL adl did not have floor plate bdl did . very early guns had pressed checkering then they went to machine cut checkering . LATER they went to so many model that we would need a picture .to tell you what you have.
  • Options
    BoomerangBoomerang Member Posts: 4,513
    edited November -1
    Congratulations on being a new owner of a Remington 700. Since you are unfamiliar with Remington Firearms, the below URL is a good place to start. I am sure you will have others questions and this is a good reference source for Remington Firearms.

The ADL-BDL designations were originally acronyms for A Grade Deluxe and B Grade Deluxe. The deluxe term was once tacked on to the end of the model designation: Model 700 ADL Deluxe and Model 700 BDL Custom Deluxe.

Both models use similar barreled actions, which feature the strongest actions made, exceptionally crisp triggers and 3.0 millisecond lock times. However, the Model 700 BDL is fit with a hinged floor plate or detachable magazine (DM) that allows the shooter to unload ammunition through the bottom of the rifle by opening the floor plate or removing the magazine. The Model 700 ADL uses a blind magazine and can only be unloaded through the top by working the bolt open and closed.

Both models are offered in variety of styles, calibers and options to meet individual needs, preferences, and hunting conditions. The Model 700 ADL is available with wood or synthetic stocks and carbon-steel barreled actions. Also available is a Model 700 ADL Synthetic Youth. The Model 700 BDL is available with American Walnut, synthetic or laminated-hardwood stocks, carbon or stainless-steel barreled actions, and mirror-image left-hand versions in the Model 700 BDL and Model 700 LSS models.

http://remington.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/remington.cfg/php/enduser/std_alp.php?p_sid=oDEZjakh&p_lva=&p_sp=&p_li=

Boomer

"Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as it is by the obstacles which one has overcome while trying to succeed"

. and the antithesis to this philosophy was uttered by Bill Clinton "I smoked it, but I didn't inhale."[V]

NRA Life Member