In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Mule Ear Double Barrel Shotgun

RaoulRaoul Member Posts: 136 ✭✭✭
edited August 2004 in Ask the Experts
I have an old exposed hammer double barrel shotgun in 12 gauge, with chambers about 2.81" deep. The left side plate reads: "Triumph Machine Gun". The right side plate reads: "Pat'd June 20, 1883", over "Belgium". The top rib reads: "No. 5212 Laminated Steel Belgium". With the splinter forearm removed, there is the number "878" and what appear to be various proof marks that I can't make out. Does anyone have any information on this shotgun, or suggestions on where I can find information about it?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I appreciate your reply, but I already know not to use smokeless loads in damascus barrels, and that even though 2 3/4" shells will fit in blackpowder shotguns that their chambers are too short to let modern shells open fully & this causes high pressures. I know a little about reloading for blackpowder cartridges and shotguns shells, and have friends who do it.

This "old boy" is in pretty nice shape, you can still see color in the case hardening, and the points on its checkering on the semi-pistol grip and splinter forearm have sharp points. I don't need to know what it's worth, because it's not for sale.

What I would like to know is where to go to try to research odd-ball blackpowder shotguns like this. Any information on publications, web sites, or anything else would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
  • Options
    nordnord Member Posts: 6,106
    edited November -1
    And the answer is... You really can't research your gun. It's one of a multitude of cheap (I mean really cheap) guns imported into the US just about a century ago. Piepher was one of the larger makers and there's a good chance that your gun was made by that concern and trade branded for export. The problem for you is that no one really much cares.

I'm not going to say your gun is unsafe to shoot with proper loads. It may well be in good enough shape to do the job safely. I will say, though, that you wouldn't catch me pulling the trigger on a load of black powder in that particular piece.

A century of possible corrosion (invisible to the naked eye), inexpensive materials, questionable quality, and poor construction would lead me to the side of caution. Case colors and sharp checkering don't make the piece any safer than the weakest weld... And there are thousands of them in those tubes.

And lest you think I'm knocking your gun, I'm not. It's as much a piece of history as the nicest FN Browning. All I'm giving is a perspective and comparison... And some sound advice.

Nord
  • Options
    rhmc24rhmc24 Member Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As others said, learning much about your gun may be a lost cause. OTOH there are books that list proof marks and maker's marks that might give you some information. I have some such books but for much earlier guns. If you can locate someone who is into 19th and early 20th century guns and books you might have a chance. Rotsaruck!
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Raoul

What I would like to know is where to go to try to research odd-ball blackpowder shotguns like this. Any information on publications, web sites, or anything else would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

As the other posters noted, there's little collector demand/value/interest in these Beligan Damacus Guns. Most were inexpensive utility guns meant to be sold by the local hardware/general stores.

Be that as it may you can use the following references, whether they'll do you any good is doubtfull.

"Side by Sides of the World" by Charles Carder, ISBN 0-9679886-0-8

www.gunshop.com

www.shotgunworld.com

luger_4.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the references!