In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Best "inexpensive" scope

ker2222ker2222 Member Posts: 188 ✭✭✭
edited August 2004 in Ask the Experts
I am looking to invest in a new scope for this fall's seasons. I am thinking about a variable 3-9 power and it must be able to withstand the recoil of a 30-06--mounting it on weaver see-through rings on a rem model 700. I would not like to spend $300, however.

Anyone have any recomendations on a good, reliable scope that doesn't cost a fortune??

I have looked at the "usual" candidates and like the features offered by simmons, bushnell, tasco and even BSA. I just don't have enough experience to know which of these (or other brands) offer the best qulaity and longevity.

Comments

• Options
    GWNelsonGWNelson Member Posts: 183 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What make rifle is it? Have a B&Lomb, 2.5/8X, that will take the pounding. Would require set of adjustable bases. Near New. Will ship it to you for $134.89, insurance included. GW. gwvr@bresnan.net
  • Options
    jptatumjptatum Member Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You have a lot of choices. Most anything made by Weaver, Bushnell, Nikon, Leupold, Burris or Sightron should do the job. I'm sure there are others also.

J. Patrick Tatum
  • Options
    duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    simmons will work fine.

I WOULD RATHER BE DUCK HUNTING.
  • Options
    remington nutremington nut Member Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    have a simmons aetec on my rem 700 adl 30-06.. shooting 1 gr over max loads out of it for the past 8 or so years.. havent had the first problem with it.. www.riflescopes.com would probably be your cheapest source for any new scope...
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,760 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    millett, good scope for the money
  • Options
    TWalkerTWalker Member Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Check out some pawn shops. Look for Leupolds, Redfields, Lyman, or Burris scopes. If none are for sale, maybe you can buy one off a rifle. It doesn't hurt to ask. Or, buy a rifle with a scope you like and resale the rifle. Often you can get a top quality scope well under $100 in one of these ways. Sometimes I've resold the rifle alone for more than I paid and got a "free" scope.
  • Options
    mikeh32mikeh32 Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just bought a Mueller Sport Dot Gold Series 3-10x44 red dot reticle scope for my 300 Weatherby and love it. High Country Outfitters is selling them at an introductory price of $159.95. Check www.highcountryoutfitters.com. This scope is much nicer than many other high end scopes I've seen.
  • Options
    BeeramidBeeramid Member, Moderator Posts: 7,264 ******
    edited November -1
    Bushnell Banner. Got one on my 300WSM and it takes a lickin from that. It is great in low light conditions. Mines got a 50mm A/O. Bout $135 plus tax at wally world.
  • Options
    zinkzink Member Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try a Simmons Aetec, they are about $160 and all my rifles carry them and not a problem what so ever (even on a 340 Weatherby Magnum).

Lance
    10's RULE
    [:D]
  • Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have had very good service from Swift scopes.