In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

serial numbers

caz1259caz1259 Member Posts: 31 ✭✭
edited August 2004 in Ask the Experts
I have noticed in some of the auctions part of the serial numbers are purposely covered or partially so. What is the reason for this? Thanks for the information and education.

God Bless The U.S.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I have noticed knowledgable gun sellers in many cases indicate the year a gun was made based on the serial number. Is there an easy way to get this information for the novice. I have several guns that I would like to obtain this info........Thanks in advance
    Terry
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a winchester model 54 that is stamped 30GOVT'06 serial number 23060A. I was wondering if anybody can tell my anything on the history of this rifle. I thank everybody for their time with this.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I had several guns that were to be stored by a relative. Seems they were stored at the local pawn shop. I don't have the list of serial numbers since I gave them to the relative for safe keeping. I know when,where and cost of them. Is there any way to track them?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Do all guns the same model have the same exact serial number or does each one have a unique number?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Would someone please enlighten me as to the reason (Some)people will not list the complete S/N when listing a gun for sale.The only reason I can think of is they are afraid it might be a Stolen Gun. Ron
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hi, I have a Double barrel shotgun made in belguim I believe in the 1880's by A. Greener. I am wondering if anyone knows when the Greener company started putting serial numbers on their guns. The only things on this one are A. Greener, Belgium. Lamanated Steel and the number 34. Also what does the number 34 stand for?

Caz1259
  • Options
    edited November -1
    if you ran a serial number and it came back as "no history" does that just mean its never been reported stolen or in a crime? it was run through the massachusettes state police, also is a high standard .357 magnum a decent target shooting gun? last but not least, where the hell can you find a holster for it? i mean is this revolver like a smith in size, can it fit into those holsters?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Dumb question that I, a self acknowleged expert, should know what the answer is. But I don't.
    When describing a firearm, the writer often includes a partial serial number on the order of 1234xxxx. Just what, in the way of theft or other misconduct via miscreant , does that prevent????
    It would seem unlikely to me that a full serial number would be of any use by the criminal boneheads of the world.
    Stan
  • Options
    edited November -1
    If a winchester had the last four numbers scratched off, but the first two are not, and the number sequence shows its manufacture date is 1898, is it still in violation, or since its an antique, the missing numbers are all right with the law enforcement? Is there anywhere to find a secondary serial number?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    is there a site that shows mfgr dates for winchester rifles?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a friend that has some old guns; a springfield 94a 16 ga. single shot and a remington 552 22 cal. We can not find serial numbers on these guns. Where are they suppose to be located? Thanks, john
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Anybody out there know the site to check up on serial numbers to prove/disprove a stolen gun? Have a suspicious toy would like to check out. Any advice would be appreciated. Sorry if this has been questioned in the past, but I lost the site I had used in the past...

Paul
    Mountain Magic Gunsmithing
  • Options
    edited November -1
    We are new to this site and wondered if you can tell us about the serial numbers. Most are listed as numbers and x's (as in 645xx). Could someone please explain??

Thank you[:o)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Why are serial numbers always not fully disclosed? For example 1234XX.
    Miles

When in doubt go faster
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I decided it was time to get a list of all my serial numbers. I did not find numbers on two of my guns. One is a Remington 514, .22 bolt action, the other is a Remington 572 .22 pump. Am I not looking in the right place, or do they not have serial numbers? Thanks!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I hava a Glock model 19 with the serial number 0000. I was just wondering if this affects the value of the gun?
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news but A GREENER is a knock off of a famous ENGLISH gun maker W W GREENER that started in 1829 the gun you have is not made by this maker and is not worth what some of these fine english double guns are.JUST like rock island , springfield and charles daly are current knock offs. that make a living from someone elses good name.
  • Options
    captkirk3@dslextreme.comcaptkirk3@dslextreme.com Member Posts: 3,804
    edited November -1
    perry
    shooter.... has made the correct Call....You have a Belguim Copy of an English High Dollar Gun....If Your Gun is in Excellent Condition it could command upwards of $250.00.....Maybe a bit More....but that will depends on wither its Engraved and Gold Enlayed and has Fancy Wood....and is in like New Condition.........

Captain Kirk, Tech Staff
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I don't want to know it's worth but am trying to find out what the 34 is and if anyone knows more about A. Greener and when serial numbers were put on his guns? I am not trying to sell the gun, I just want more information on it.

Caz1259
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello caz1259...

No information is available for you old Belgian scattergun. As previously mentioned, it is a cheaply made gun that was intentionally marked with the "Greener" name in an attempt to fool people into believing that it was a high quality English made gun... there is/was no such maker as "A Greener".

From circa 1890 to 1914, MILLIONS of those cheap Belgian guns were were imported into the united states, and sold by hardware stores and retail stores (Sears & Roebuck for example) for $6 to $9. They carried such names as "T Holt", W. Richards", W. Moore", T. Parker", and at least several hundred other names. Belgium gunmakers were not required to serialize anything that they made during that era, and there is NO written information about them (due to a severe lack of interest by collectors). It is highly unlikely that anyone will ever be able to tell you what the "34" means.

Finally, becasue those old guns were cheaply made, the vast majority of them are not safe to shoot today even with the proper black powder shells... they are absolutely dangerous if you try to shoot modern ammo in them. The chambers on the vast majority of those old Belgian scatterguns are also shorter than standard. I think that the good Capt is being overly generous in his value estimation... most of them sell for $100 - $200 and are used as mantle decorations.

Bert H.

Real Men use a SINGLE-SHOT!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you all for the information you have given. I really appreciate it.

Caz1259