In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

C&R Question (Continued)

EOD GuyEOD Guy Member Posts: 931
edited August 2004 in Ask the Experts
quote:
I'm glad this was cleared up, I think. Sounds like I'm not the only one with questions. To summarize, this is what I glean from my ATF paperwork and your kind comments.

1. If I purchase a C&R weapon out of state, whether it's face to face, or say via mail through Gunbroker, I have to either show my license (face to face, like a dealer at a local gunshow in a neighboring state) or mail a copy (non-certified, just signed in lets say blue ink) to the out of state person I'm purchasing from. Purchase must be documented in the C&R bound book I'm req'd to keep.

2. If I puchase a gun from Joe Blow out of the trading journal who isn't a dealer I don't have to show my license or submit a form 4473 (state and local laws apply). And I don't have to document the purchase in the C&R bound book.

3. If I purchase a weapon using my license and then sell it to someone in my state without a license, that transaction must be documented using the persons drivers license. If he is licensed as myself, I use his C&R license for the documentation.

4. If I sell a weapon I puchased without using my license (now I'm Joe Blow in the trading journal) I don't have to document the weapon's disposal in my C&R bound book.

Does my understanding sound correct to you guys? And I really appreciate your help, There is a lot of room for error just due to mis-understanding of the laws. I'm wanting to get a thorough handle on all the regulations before I make the first purchase using my license.

Please note that all acquisitions and dispositions of C&R firearms by a Type 03 licensee must be entered in your bound book, no matter how they were acquired. Whether you "use" your license or not has no bearing. BATF specifically addressed this issue a few years ago with a letter to all licensees.

Comments

• Options
    D@DD@D Member Posts: 4,407
    edited November -1
    quote:Please note that all acquisitions and dispositions of C&R firearms by a Type 03 licensee must be entered in your bound book, no matter how they were acquired. Whether you "use" your license or not has no bearing. BATF specifically addressed this issue a few years ago with a letter to all licensees.

Acording to the inspectors at the Tyler Feild office.Here's their number 903-590-1475.You do not need to put it in your bound book if you didn't not use your C&R License, you just put it in your personal record's book. Those are to different books.

I don't approve of political jokes. I've seen too many of them get elected.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you will check your Firearms Curios & Relics List (ATF P5300.11), you will find that questions must be directed in writing to BATFE headquarters. Like all federal agencies, what a well-meaning employee tells you on the phone is neither legal nor binding.

EOD Guy is referring to the December 22, 2000, OPEN LETTER TO ALL FEDERALLY LICENSED COLLECTORS OF CURIO OR RELIC FIREARMS:

"REQUIRED * Must enter into the [acquisition and disposition] record all curios and relics acquired after receipt of the collector's license."

Neal

"Show it to me in black & white, & I'll take your word for it."
  • Options
    D@DD@D Member Posts: 4,407
    edited November -1
    I thank you gentlemen. I had not got that letter.

• Options
    EOD GuyEOD Guy Member Posts: 931
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by D@D
    quote:Please note that all acquisitions and dispositions of C&R firearms by a Type 03 licensee must be entered in your bound book, no matter how they were acquired. Whether you "use" your license or not has no bearing. BATF specifically addressed this issue a few years ago with a letter to all licensees.

Acording to the inspectors at the Tyler Feild office.Here's their number 903-590-1475.You do not need to put it in your bound book if you didn't not use your C&R License, you just put it in your personal record's book. Those are to different books.

There is no requirement to maintain a personal records book for Type 03 licensees. A dealer is required to do so in order to seperate personal firearms from inventory. The field office, like many, seems to get the different types of licensees mixed up a lot.