In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

MARK CHRISTIAN / M-1 D QUESTION

mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
edited August 2004 in Ask the Experts
1. i have an M-1 D SNIPER RIFLE
WIN rec. SER# 23324XX
S-A-2-62 BBL
TE 4-69 (in electric pencil, on outside of magwell / reciever on the right side)
SA cartouched stock
the gun is in its original shipping box
the gun has never been assembled or fired since it was made (ie, after test firing, and arsenal storage)
the acsessories are all still in there original packages. the M-84 scope is still in its arsenal sealed bag.
the gun is in 98% condition. there is little or no wear on the gun. its near NIB, and i am 100% positive it has never been assembled or fired since it was broken down for storage after final assembly and testing.
it is the cleanest, parts matching, factory original, in its sealed arsenal packaging, perfect M-1 i have ever seen. this is MUSEUM quality... this is a once in a lifetime find. CANFIELD and Mc CLAIN would have a fist fight in the parking lot of a GCA dinner over this one. i want to wear white cotton gloves when handling it...

the bore is 99%++ perfect.
i have the shakes...
please offer some opinions of value, rarity, etc...
any info, questions, opinions, etc...
best regards, mike.

What other dungeon is so dark as ones own heart, what jailer so inexorable as ones own mind.
contact me at the shop at waltsgun@aol.com best regards, mike.

Comments

• Options
    beachmaster73beachmaster73 Member Posts: 3,011 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Let's see...there is a nice M1D on the CMP auction block sans accessories at about $2500. You can get a nice original M1D scope mount for about $100, a really nice M84 scope for $600(or less with great shopping), a MRT 52 leather cheek pad with 3 felt pieces for between $50 and $100, a milled Hart or SA flash suppressor for $250-$300(cheaper for the stamped version).....that's about $3550-$3600 for a tricked out M1D....but the key like Mark said is the CMP paperwork that says you have a CMP(i.e. original U.S. military sniper) rifle and not some local gunsmith's handiwork....the only thing that might hurt your rifle a very tiny bit is the 62 barrel....that's an indicator that it didn't come close to the Korean War and like Mark said it might never have actually been used in that configuration....now on the other hand, it's your rifle and I'd say anyone would be proud to own it. Beach
  • Options
    Rebel_JamesRebel_James Member Posts: 4,746
    edited November -1
    I'll trade you a Korea era H&R CMP Grarand for it. I have the papers on it, and even though you don't, I won't ask you to pay any difference.

LOL, joking. Sounds like you at least have a very nice Garand!

MVC-031S.jpg

"The Greatest Battle Implement Ever Devised!"
    -- Gen. George S. Patton
    referring to the M1 Garand
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All is not lost; for $15, CMP will send you certification that your rifle is a M1D that was sold by them. That is as good as the original release papers, at least in the minds of most collectors.

I have seen documented (complete) M1D's sell in the $2,300-3,200 range recently. I would expect yours to sell at the upper end of that range.

Neal
  • Options
    swiftyswedeswiftyswede Member Posts: 102 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    As far as value goes... I bought almost the same gun that you have, with the box and all the packaging, and the DCM/CMP letters, 1952 barrel date at auction for $3,000. I had absolutely no buyers remourse, and would spend more than that on the same thing again.
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    the pieces are not "foil wrapped"...
    the scope is in some type of woven tear-resistant bag, white-gray in color, labeled, and sealed. the bolt is in a similar wrap. the scope carrying case is in a cardboard box, the cheekpiece is in the above mentioned baggy, as is the flash suppressor.

the gun is in the "old-style" box, covered with labels. the paperwork is intact and complete.

when i say its a "parts matching" gun, i mean that all the pieces that made up its elemants when it was original assembled and tested appear to be intact. i believe that when this gun was converted, rebuilt, and test fired, it remained unassembled, unused, and unfired till now.

its the cleanest, most unused, pristine, complete, unaltered, near perfect one i have ever seen. i will attempt to post pics...

i think that the M84 in its original package, unopened, uninstalled is worth over $1000.00

please keep it coming...
    i will attempt to post pics...
    best regards, mike.

What other dungeon is so dark as ones own heart, what jailer so inexorable as ones own mind.
    contact me at the shop at waltsgun@aol.com best regards, mike.
  • Options
    beachmaster73beachmaster73 Member Posts: 3,011 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    mrmike....There is a guy in Holland who is selling original new in the box never opened M84's for around $575-$625 through his Virginia company. Anyone paying $1000 for a perfect perfect M84 never opened is paying about $400 too much. When the mass of M1D's from the CMP first came out without their scopes and pads etc the price of available scopes, mounts and pad went through the roof. The prices have settled out and are significantly more stable now than they were even about nine months ago. I paid about $380 for a very nice(but not NIB perfect) M84 and $85 for its original mount M1D mount. I paid about the fleet average...maybe a little more than its condition would normally merit. A guy I know who purchased a couple of the CMP M1D's bought perfect NIB scopes at the $600 figure. You should be happy with your rifle it sounds about perfect...
    Now I happen to like the Hart flash suppressor over the Model 37 suppressor (which I believe was the choice of the Special Forces folks) but that's just me...form over function. Like I said I'd say you have a rifle worth about $3600...maybe a little more. It sounds nicer than my M1D.....but honestly check with scott duff if you want the definitive value......I doubt, though, he would tell you that you have a $4200 rifle. Just enjoy it for what it is. Beach