In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

22 mag ballistics

plains scoutplains scout Member Posts: 4,563
edited August 2004 in Ask the Experts
Anyone know of a website or other source or personal knowledge of 22 mag ammo?

Wondering how it compares to 17hmr and curious about the performance. Ammo sure costs less.

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

Comments

• Options
    BeeramidBeeramid Member, Moderator Posts: 7,264 ******
    edited November -1
  • Options
    CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was going to switch to 17, but figured why? I shoot the Winchester Black box Supreme 22 Mag, which is a 34 grain bullet going about 2200 FPS. The 17 is a 17 grain bullet only a couple hundred FPS faster. I am sticking with my 22 Mag, dusts the prairie dogs out to 100 yards. Plus its two dollars a box cheaper than the 17!

Chris8161
    Admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof!
  • Options
    heavyironheavyiron Member Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi plains scout,

Yes. Here are some of the answers to your questions.

The 17HMR will beat the 22 mag hands down every time for velocity vs distance. The 17 HMR uses a 17 grain ballistic tip bullet which does not supply all the energy of the standard 50 grain 22 mag. Cost for a box of 17 HMR from Midway is $8.49.

BALLISTICS
    Velocity (fps) Energy (ft-lb) Trajectory (in)+
    Muz. 50 100 Muz. 50 100 50 100 150
    17 HMR 2550 2212 1901 245 185 136 0.1 0.0 -2.6

CCI Maxi 30 grain
    22 Mag 2200 1750 1373 322 203 127 -1.4

Standard 50 grain
    22 Mag 1650 1450 1280 300 235 180 -2.0

That being said, manufacturers have been trying to soup up the performance of 22 mags for years. For example, the hottest 22 mags on the market (haven't ever seen these myself)are from Federal and CCI. The CCI Maxi Mag+V HP has a reported muzzle velocity of 2200 fps and muzzle energy of 322 foot lbs. Compare to the above for the 17 HMR. Not that far off plus more energy but mid-range trajectory is -1.4 inches. Cost for a box of 22 Maxi Mag $7.19 and cost for standard CCI 22 mag is $6.99 from Midway.

Therefore, the advantage of the 17 HMR is high velocity and flat bullet path. Therefore, shots could be made with the 17 HMR to a greater distance (150 to 200 yards) than with the 22 mag.

Hope this helps.

Heavyiron[8D]
  • Options
    RobinRobin Member Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Plains Scout:
    The .17HMR is plain fun. Ballistics aside, I can tell you that the round is effective out to 150 yards with little problem and capable of 200 yard one shot kills. I went on a prarie dog shoot near Douglas, Wyoming this year. I took a #1 in 22-250 and a Marlin 17VS. For all intents and purposes, I could have left the #1 at home and been fine. Our guide had a 10/22 mag, which was worked great on the dogs but by day 3 he told me he was going to pick up a .17HMR. He was as impressed as I was surprised. The .22 magnum is a great varmit rifle, I have several versions of .22 mags.

The 17 grain .17HMR is traveling almost as fast at 100 yds as the muzzle velocity of a .22 magnum. The foot pounds of energy at 100 yds for the .17 HMR and .22 magnum is about 135 and 165 respectively. I doubt that it matters much to a five pound dog with similar shot placement. As to whether or not the .17 HMR will do anything the .22 mag can't do, I doubt it. Both are fine.

If you can get one of each, do so. I have been happy with the Marlin 17VS. Good luck

Worry is the interest humans pay on the debt of miscalculation.
  • Options
    gotstolefromgotstolefrom Member Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Look back 3 or 4 months in the American Rifleman. There were a couple of articles with a good bit of technical info and personal comment information. ( I think they appear in two different months).

Personally I am going to avoid them. I know (some of) my weaknesses.

If we do not hang together,
    We will most certainly hang separately.
  • Options
    billybassbillybass Member Posts: 350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    the 22 mag will kill much bigger critters.... I mean much bigger , the 17 makes the little stuff explode if you find that fun, the 22 mag is also much cheaper I bought 5 different types at the last gun show all from about $4.00 to $8.00 and the cheaper stuff was Armsco made in the Phillipines it was some hard hitting stuff , next show I'm getting some more..........................
  • Options
    Rafter-SRafter-S Member Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I sure like my Marlin 882SS in 22 mag. caliber. I carry it in my truck sometimes to give the ol' 30-06 a deserved rest. It does an adequate job taking care of undesirable critters on the Rafter-S...and at about 1/5 the cost per round. The only advantage of the '06 is range...when the critters are out over 150 yards. But in 9 out of 10 cases, the distances are within reach of the 22 mag.

My humble input,
    Rafter-S
  • Options
    alaskanmanalaskanman Member Posts: 362 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    my marlin 83TS in 22 mag can shoot tight groups with CCI and PMC ammo, it seems to hit things a lot harder than the 17hmr over 150 yards too. just my opinion.

www.alaskancampfire.com
  • Options
    plains scoutplains scout Member Posts: 4,563
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys. Just needed to hear some opinions. New is not always better.

Still would like to find that .22 hornet with stainless barrel and sythetic stock and adjustable trigger, but it does not exist. So, the 22 mag is looking good. Need a tough little gun to dispatch critters from badger down to snakes that does not wake up the whole dag nabit county.

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
    ~Abraham Lincoln