In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.230 70 gr. bullets????

bsdoylebsdoyle Member Posts: 279 ✭✭
edited December 2008 in Ask the Experts
Could this be possible? I bought some reloading stuff at an auction and found a small box of 100+ bullets. Thinking they were 243 I checked them and they measure 230. I know somebody knows something bout them. I cant find anything in this dia. thanx guys. Somebody always knows. Steve

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The only one that I can think of that's even close, is the .22 Hi-Power that Savage brought out in the years prior to the First World War. Althougt I always though that the diameter of the bullets used were .228. Who was the manufacturer of the bullets you found? If they were home made swaged bullets, somebody long ago might have been experimenting with different diameters. Did the exposed lead at the point appear oxidized?
  • Options
    leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The only company that I know who has a really unique variety of bullets is berger bullet co, but I didn't see a .230 77gr on there website. I know they even at one time made a .14cal bullet, and probably still do by special order, you might email them and ask if they ever produced the one you have specified.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Steve,

Actually, there are two cartridges that use this diameter bullet:

.230 Ackley - Developed in response to state game laws requiring at least .23 caliber cartridges for hunting. The case is made from shortened '06 cases and necking them to take .230 bullets. The case is similar to the .228 Ackley Magnum, just necked up. Standard twist was 1:10".

.230 LLF - Developed by the L.L.F. Die Shop in Eugene, Oregon. They manufactured bullet swaging dies. The cartridge is the .243 Winchester case necked down to take the .230 bullets with no other changes. Standard twist is 1:10" with special twists of 1:9" and 1:12".

Additional bullets were manufactured by R.B. Sisk and Fred N. Barnes.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanx guys but these are nice lookn bullets Not lead or anything. Bout an inch long jacketed and nice looking hollowpoints. Long slender with a small HP. Only thing else there is there is a small brown paper bag that had some .17 bullets in it --almost an envelope--- that has H.A. HOLDEN INC. 1208 HARMON PLACE MINNEAPOLIS MINN on it. I dont know if that meant anything or not. Thanx steve
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    bsdoyle,

"...but these are nice lookn bullets Not lead or anything."

What does this have to do with anything written at all? Did you misunderstand the term 'swage' to mean only lead bullets get swaged. If so, then you should know that the copper jackets used to create the "...nice looking hollowpoints. Long slender with a small HP." go through a process of swaging in order to achieve the shape of the bullet that leaves the hollowpoint only as a result of that process. The reverse of this is the full metal jacket which leaves the opening at the base of the bullet not the point.

I have listed the possible manufacturers in the previous post and those are the only ones that I can find in my notes or references. That doesn't mean that there weren't others. The problem is that individual bullets don't get makers stamps or labels, so when they're found loose it is nearly impossible to identify the manufacturer let alone a custom maker.

The bullets that you have should be approximately 0.800" in length and have a BC of 189 to 200 approximately.

The envelope with the other bullets in it is from a parts supplier:

HA Holden
    Box 543
    Minneapolis, MN 55440
    1-612-577-5555

H.A. Holden, Inc. ("Holden"), a national distributor of materials and parts to the Motor Repair Industry. Holden, founded in 1954 in Minneapolis, Minnesota, has distribution facilities in Atlanta, Charlotte, Philadelphia, Houston, San Francisco, Denver, and Florida. Holden will operate as a division of EIS, Inc. under the Electrical Group. Sales for Holden were approximately $50 million in 1998.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well thanx I think --sorry im not up on the manufacturing process of bullets. But it is interesting just the same. I was just curious as to the calibers this bullet would be fore. Dosent sound like there are very many and I havent heard of either. The H A HOLDEN was something I threw in that I thoought would help somebody identify them. Sorry. Thought maybe somebody could use them. Guess they are not at all that popular.STEVE
  • Options
    GeriGeri Member Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There was also a 230 wildcat made on the old 25 remington case. I think worshals (sp?) in seatlle Wa made it.
  • Options
    IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Steve,

Just as a double check, I looked through my references on British and metric rounds and find no factory chamberings for any .230" bore. The work-around described by nononsense wasn't common, but it did happen and is by far the most likely scenario - any bullets of this diameter would be custom made, swaged by an individual for himself or by a small shop on special order. I'd bet they performed well in the hands of a skilled marksman.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    THANX GERI AND ICONOCLAST.
  • Options
    jbhdjbhd Member Posts: 16 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello,

I just purchased an interesting Mauser actioned rifle with a C.P. Donnelly barrel on it marked as .230 Varminter. Can anyone tell me if they have heard of this caliber or is it one of the 2 listed previously in this original posting? Are .230 caliber bullets available from any of the manufacturers? Dies?

Thanks, JB