In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Accuracy - Single Action .357 vs. Dual Action .357

idzgydzidzgydz Member Posts: 94 ✭✭
edited January 2009 in Ask the Experts
I have been looking into the purchase of my first .357, and wanted some information on the difference in accuracy (if any) between Single Action and Dual Action revolvers at distances greater than 40-50 yards. I have shot dual action .44 mag. pistols (Dan Wesson 6" bbl) out to 100 yards accurately (5" groups, rested position, iron sights), and I want to know if there if a single action .357 out there that is close to as accurate. I have limited experience with single action revolvers, but don't remember the last time I actually used the dual action feature on the large caliber revolvers that I have shot. I plan to use this gun mainly for hunting, and need something accurate, durable, can handle continuous shooting of high power .357 rounds, and is in the $500 or under price range. Any information or opinions are appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I suppose in theory, having a longer and heavier hammer fall, the SA revolver could be less accurate than the DA revolver. I don't think that difference would show on the targets of most shooters or make a difference in the field though. If you're shooting solid 5" groups at 100 yds with a DA you should have no problems equalling that with a quality SA revolver.

The $500.00 limit is a bit tight for new, but you should be able to get a used Ruger Blackhawk for well that amount. Ruger also makes a SA Hunter with a Bisley grip, but that may be a 41/44 Mag offering only though, I don't recall. They're about $650.00 new, not sure on the used market. I have the 41 Magnum Hunter, it's scoped and does very well up to 100 yds.

There are other SA revolvers out there, such as Freedom Arms, but they're well over $500.00, even used. So I'd suggest checking out the Rugers.

As an aside, I have more than a few DA revolvers but almost never use them in DA mode. I wouldn't discard buying or using a DA revolver simply because it has a feature not often used.
  • Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Theoretically, all things considered, accuracy should be the same. And shooting a DA in SA mode is the same as shooting an SA in SA mode.

However tolerences for different manufacturers vary and this is where you would find the differences in accuracy, not the inherent design of the weapon itself.
  • Options
    iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You would be hard pressed to upstage the accuracy of a Thompson Contender/Encore line of pistols when it comes to hunting. They are single shot/single action.

The phrase you are looking for is DOUBLE ACTION, not Dual Action.
  • Options
    golferboy426golferboy426 Member Posts: 969 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just sold a new Ruger Security 6 for 450 so 500 for either a single or double action rugewr is no sweat. I have several to choose from
  • Options
    cce1302cce1302 Member Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As the others mentioned, you can get similar accuracy firing either one in single action. The biggest difference, to me, however, is the balance and the feel of each handgun.
    DA revolvers are more fun (my opinion) to shoot large amounts of ammo through, since reloads are much quicker.

I like the suggestions of Ruger GP100 (DA) or Blackhawk (SA) in your price range.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by idzgydz
    I have been looking into the purchase of my first .357, and wanted some information on the difference in accuracy (if any) between Single Action and Dual Action revolvers at distances greater than 40-50 yards.
    There is no real mechanical reason why one should be more or less accurate than the other.

In practice, for what its worth, the high-level bullseye shooters who shoot revolvers for accuracy are virtually all shooting double-action revolvers (though they may be shooting them in single-action mode).

quote: I have shot dual action .44 mag. pistols (Dan Wesson 6" bbl) out to 100 yards accurately (5" groups, rested position, iron sights), and I want to know if there if a single action .357 out there that is close to as accurate. I have limited experience with single action revolvers, but don't remember the last time I actually used the dual action feature on the large caliber revolvers that I have shot. I plan to use this gun mainly for hunting, and need something accurate, durable, can handle continuous shooting of high power .357 rounds, and is in the $500 or under price range. Any information or opinions are appreciated.
    [/quote]
    Well, having the ability to shoot double-action doesn't hurt, even if you never use the feature. Pretty much the only time you would is in close-range self-defense. But at that point its a REALLY nice feature to have [;)]

One other (real) advantage to double-action revolvers is that the swing-out cylinder makes them faster and easier to unload and reload. That's a better real-worls advantage, IMO.

There are a number of guns you could consider. The ones mentioned already are good.

I think the Smith 686 makes a really good hunting-type revolver, and you should be able to find a used one for about $500 if you are patient.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I think you will find that for the most part Double action Revolvers can be found with BETTER target type sights then most current single action revolvers that try to look like "COWBOY" guns on top of this T quality control of cylinder to barrel line up and the forcing cone of the single action might not be up to par with say a S&W model 27 . target trigger and hammer on S&W as well as Colts along with a Dan Wesson is also more suited to target shooting then a HOGLEG[:p] BUT the old single action is FUN to shoot
  • Options
    glabrayglabray Member Posts: 679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It isn't all that unusual for a skilled shooter to be able to shoot a DA revolver more accurately in DA mode than SA. I didn't believe it until I was taught the proper technique years ago. I think part of the reason is that in DA mode, the heavy trigger pull helps create a more firm grip on the gun by the shooting hand.