In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Question for Hunters

War Pig ActualWar Pig Actual Member Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 2009 in Ask the Experts
What is the minimum caliber pistol to kill a 200lbs black bear?

Comments

• Options
    lcdrdanrlcdrdanr Member Posts: 439 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A minimum caliber to kill is easy, a .22LR placed in the right or left earhole will work. There is an actual documented case of a cape buffalo being taken with a .22 Hornet (point blank range in an earhole) but neither one is advisable.

Given the thick skin and dense fur (and depending on time of year whether fat or just coming out of hibernation) along with the possibility of heavy bone structure, I would'nt be comfortable with anything below a .44 mag although you will probably get several recommendations of .357 mag. If your intent is to deliberately hunt one, the recommendation might be different than if you are looking for something to protect you from a chance encounter.

As with most anything, shot placement is king.

Dan R
  • Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Depends on range, etc.

As stated above, a 22lr can be used and I've seen it done on treed bears, but I've always considered it irresponsible and possibly dangerous.

IMHO, a 357 with 8" barrel is minimum but possible marginal. I personally prefer a 44mag with 6" barrel and 300gr bullets.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Grab yourself a good 44 magnum like a Ruger Super RedHawk. It will eat the heavy loads with no problem, and keep on ticking. They are very accurate too. Get some Federal 300 grain hard cast bullets, and you are ready for a 400 pound Black Bear...if you need to be.
  • Options
    rock,roll,n,loadrock,roll,n,load Member Posts: 698 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used a .454 Casull to harvest mine.
  • Options
    toolsforfoolstoolsforfools Member Posts: 1,285 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Redrider daisy Lever action[^] .357 nothing less!!
  • Options
    varianvarian Member Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    if the purpose is to kill the animal in as humane a manner as possible, nothing less than a .44 mag
  • Options
    GarthGarth Member Posts: 381 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    if you use the 22, first grind off the front sight. why, you might wonder? because when the bear takes it from you and shoves it up your @$$, it wont hurt so much. the only two pistols i would choose for my protection from bear while in the woods, is a magnum research b.f.r.(big f@#%&$* revolver) 45-70 and a smitty 500 magnum. both are pricey but worth your life. best
  • Options
    one2hutnone2hutn Member Posts: 261 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I believe that if you're hunting a 357 is enough to kill a bear.A 41 mag is even better, hunting now. If however you are in bear country most people I've known or spoke with carry a 44mag or bigger. It's also an excellent hunting gun but it just seems to be carried by more people than other calibers
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    And you might also check the game laws in YOUR state to see what the LEGAL minimum caliber is. Varies from state to state.
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Implied in many of the answers, but worth re-stating none-the-less, is that there can be a significant difference between killing a bear and stopping one. Anytime you have to shoot at something that can turn the tables on you and serve you up for dinner, you want to think in terms of stopping first, killing second. For that I'd agree with the heavy .44 mag. loads as minimum on up to the baddest thing you can still handle quickly and accurately.