In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Dark bore?

one2hutnone2hutn Member Posts: 261 ✭✭✭
edited January 2009 in Ask the Experts
Hey,
I was looking at a used gun recently, it was a 1941 Mauser according to the numbers and markings. The gun was is pretty nice condition but when I put a bore light to the chamber and looked at the barrel it was dark. It had good rifling but it was dark. Does this merely indicate fouling or is this a shot out barrel? Thanks

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Anyone know of a way to clean a dark bore without further eroding the bore.
  • Options
    Wehrmacht_45Wehrmacht_45 Member Posts: 3,377
    edited November -1
    It can be dirty, or it could be damaged from the lack of proper cleaning while shooting corrosive ammo. Dark bores shoot well, but foul fast.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you. I think I'll get back there and pick it up. I think it's an 8m rifle. Don't know much about Mauser's other than their reputation. Should be fun to see how a 69 yr old gun shoots
  • Options
    Wehrmacht_45Wehrmacht_45 Member Posts: 3,377
    edited November -1
    it is most likely an 8mm. Take it home, give the bore a good scrub and see how well she cleans up. I had a MAS 36 French Rifle I bought once that had a BLACK bore. Turned out to be a mixture of oil and just dust and dirt from sitting for so long.

As long as the rifling is good and the muzzle crown is good, should be a nice shooter. I have a 80 year old mauser, and its pretty darned accurate for its age.
  • Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It always amazes me that people who want to sell used guns don't bother to clean the bores first. I aways wonder what they are trying to hide under that crud. I usually walk away!