In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Scoping

hwoolfhwoolf Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited January 2009 in Ask the Experts
My interest is in finding out if a Winchester 1885 High Wall (New) will accept a Leupold scope with 50mm objective? Will I need special rings? My thinking is a little higher might be good to facilitate hammer access.
Any information would be helpful.

Comments

• Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello hwoolf,

Welcome to the forums here on Gunbroker.

Yes, that 50mm objective lense will work on your 1885, as long as you use the right height bases. All the major mount manufacturers have charts for base and ring fits for various rifles if you use their web sites to find them. You can also verify them by measuring from their charts to your rifle. The 50mm bell you are asking about, for practical purposes is 2 inches in diameter. Divide that in half, and that gives you the minimum distance you will need for the scope to clear the barrel from the centerline of the scope tube. If you find a base and matching ring combination that is just slightly over that calculation you will be fine. I actually take that calculation and add 0.125(1/8th) inch to it to account for the tube and objective adjustment ring on the front bell.

If this is a hard kicking caliber, you want to get that scope as low as you can, so your head rides with the stock stock during recoil. It is bad to get too high where a hard kicking rifle slides under your cheek during recoil, and uses up all of your eye relief. That adds up to "scope eye", and often requires going to the hospital ER to get stitches.

Best
  • Options
    hwoolfhwoolf Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks tsr1965,

Yes, it is a relatively hard recoiling rifle (7mm WSM). Bought it here on GB.com last week. I am not sure if a 50 mm is what I want, but trying to decide at this time. Thanks and yes, I know to keep it low--have had "scope eye" with my 338.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Personally, unless it is a highend scope like a NightForce, Kahles, S&B, or something similar I see no reason for a large objective larger than 40mm. What to look for is the % of light transmission. The Burris, and Nikon's have this field wrapped up. With a 40mm lense you get maximum exit pupil at 8 power, and with a 50mm lens it is 10 power. The human eye can not dialate more than that on average. So it is up to the lens coatings to transmit the light thru the lens, instead of reflecting it. The ones that have the best clearity and % of light transmission get my nod. Usually Leupolds are not among them, and frankly they rate low for quality vs. the dollar paid for them.

Best.