In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

OK - I've been talking about projects -Suppressor

Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
edited January 2009 in Ask the Experts
I have a pretty old 10/22 that I inherited from my Brother on his passing.

It's in blue, and I'm going to mount the ProPoint 3 on it that SonDoug gave me. I'm thinking about a suppressor for it, know that I'll need a $200 tax stamp and approval of the county Sheriff - all those are no problem.

I'd like you experts to give me some specific info:

1)Can I get one with multiple center sections, so it can (pun intended) be used on different caliber firearms ??

2) What/who are the premier manufacturers ??

3) How much will I need to spend ??

4) Do I need the NFA (?) paperwork approved before I can order it ??

5) Will my vendor help with the paperwork, or how do I go about it??

6) Will the barrel on the 10/22 need to be shortened and threaded, or is there some sort of adapter available - perhaps multiple ones, for different sized barrels ??

7) Do you know of any suppliers or resellers in OryGun that specialize in this area ??

I really know nothing about this, so any help will be very appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,442 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Doug, I'm no expert but I guess I'll do until one comes along!

1. I have never seen one that configures to different cals.
    2. Mine are from Gemtech and I'm pleased with them.
    3. I think I spent around $400 but that was a few years ago.
    Check the G.B. listings.
    4. No, the paperwork is done once your class 3 dealer has your
    item.
    5. Yes, your dealer will give you the paperwork. Just fill it out
    have your sheriff sign it, bring it back to the dealer, have him
    take a look, & send it to the feds along with a $200. moneyorder.
    6. Yes, the barrel needs to be threaded. Make sure you have a good
    gunsmith do this.
    7. Any class 3 dealer can handle this for you. You can even buy
    the suppressor on GB and have it sent to him - just like any
    firearm.

Be prepared to wait 2 months or more for fed approval. Once you receive it just go back to your dealer and pick up you new toy!
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options
    NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    Step 1: Go here and sign up and READ READ READ, http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/

Step 2: Decide what kind of can you want. Do you want a integral suppressed barrel that looks like a bull barrel but can ONLY be used on a 10/22? Do you you want a screw on or OD mount can that can be used on many .22's?

Step 3: Find a local dealer. IIRC you are in the Portlandish area and you have a great barrel threader and there is a SOT (Class 3 dealer next door but dont know anything about him).

Your questions:

1) In a .22 can get a dedicated one since they are very small and light weight. You can use pretty much any can on a .22 but the weight and size increase greatly.

2) See above link

3) Depending on what you want $300 minimum just for the suppressor. Under $500 is very easy for a screw on can. $5-600ish for OD cans. About $700 for a dedicated barrel.

4) Nope. You can not even start your paperwork until your dealer has it in his hands.

5) If he is not/ will not/ does not find a new dealer.

6) You will need to have a way to attach a suppressor to the barrel. This is by threading. If you end up with some kind of OD mount the barrel will still need threaded to mount the mount. There is not much to shorten on a 10/22 barrel, unless you are planning no SBRing too. I usually just cut it off right behind the front sight on an 18" (most common) 10/22 barrel.

BTW if you think guns are addicting NFA is way worse.

Let me know if I can help more.

Here is a pic of one of my 10/22 set up with suppressor:

DSC05944.jpg
  • Options
    vdms55vdms55 Member Posts: 297 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    howdy doug, IMHO don,t mess with having the barrel threaded. the factory barrel does have to be cut off to get the 1/2" diameter needed to accomodate the 1/2"X28 threads.there is a place in north Idaho that sells threaded barrels for about $120 delievered to you door. i don't have the name with me but i'm certian if you look on the beretta web sight you will find them along with some suppressors.
  • Options
    NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by vdms55
    howdy doug, IMHO don,t mess with having the barrel threaded. the factory barrel does have to be cut off to get the 1/2" diameter needed to accomodate the 1/2"X28 threads.there is a place in north Idaho that sells threaded barrels for about $120 delievered to you door. i don't have the name with me but i'm certian if you look on the beretta web sight you will find them along with some suppressors.

I can get 2 barrels threaded for that price. http://www.tornado-technologies.com/ is in Portland, OR and they do an awsome job.

EDIT: Fair enough about restoring the gun to original. Still you can easily fine new pulled barrels from people upgrading to target barrels. These usually run about $25.

If you want a good custom threaded barrel Tactical Solutions make a very nice one. There are lots of good barrels on the market for this. I guess I am just cheep.
  • Options
    vdms55vdms55 Member Posts: 297 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    hi doug, its me again, had to leave so i could find the web sight. in case your interested it is www tacticalinc.com in Bonners Ferry Id.
  • Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,442 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Doug,

It looks like you have some good info here. I knew these guys would help old jeff!

55 has one point in that this is your late bro's piece, you could spend the $120. and be able to reconfigure to it's original.

Just a thought. B.T.W., I've been down this road before.
    It's too late for me, save yourself.