In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

22 magnum target ammo?

bridgebuilder41bridgebuilder41 Member Posts: 536 ✭✭
edited February 2009 in Ask the Experts
Does anyone know if they make target ammo for a 22 magnum.

Comments

• Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    CCI recommends "Maxi-Mags" for target shooting. That's what I use. Wal-Mart carries them.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    RWS makes target grade for 22mag.
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Target grade for me is what my gun shoots the best: in my Single Six it's CCI Maxi-Mags, my Contender prefers W-W.
    Sometimes a "real target grade" ammo will outperform these in my guns, sometimes they won't.
  • Options
    GeriGeri Member Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Years ago when shooting small bore competition, a friend and I (both using winchester 52s with 10X scopes) tested several different brands of ammo. These were tested at 200 yds. The best was sears federal, the lest expensive ammo we tried. We purchased all that sears had at that time.
    You must try different brands.
  • Options
    RadarRadar Member Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My Winchester 52 shoots the Fed. lightning as good as the high priced target loads.
  • Options
    iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    RWS and I think Ely make a "target" grade 22wmr. But, as others have said, try different brands for your gun, just like 22lr.

FWIW my Savage 93fv in 22wmr gives me just under an inch at 100 yards all day long with CCI maxi-mags, either the FMJ or HP load.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The best I have found that is the most accurate out of several different guns that I have tried it in is the Winchester Supreme 34 gr. JHP. These are not copper plated, but copper jacketed, and made like a conventional bullet. They in my Anchutz Woodchucker will hold better than 1/2 MOA on dead calm days, and in my Ruger VBZ SS Varmint that has been worked over will put 3 shots in the end of a pencil eraser or cigarette butt, in the same conditions. The Browning A-Bolt 22WMR will hold 1/2-3/4' @ 100 yards, as will the SAKO Quad.

Best.
  • Options
    xstuntmanxstuntman Member Posts: 678 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    CCI Maxi mags are what I use. Their everything Dyna-Points are not. Mike
  • Options
    vepr762vepr762 Member Posts: 299 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The RWS was the only real "match grade" 22 mag ammo I have used. If you check the rim thickness and also seperate the rounds according to weight, then try this with Maxi-Mags or other manufacturers you will see why it costs more. RWS has a lot tighter tolerances.

That being said, I found Winchester Supremes to best grouping ammo, for the money, in my rifle.
  • Options
    DokeyDokey Member Posts: 941 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a win 52-D and have tried everything and the best I've found for the least money is Federal Champion HV, not the subsonic target. At $1.47 at walmart