In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

22 LR versus 22 mag revolver

scubabobfscubabobf Member Posts: 392 ✭✭✭
edited February 2009 in Ask the Experts
Hi, In a short barrel revolver say 6 1/2 inches, will the 22 mag have a sharp report as much of the powder is unburned? Will going to the 50 gr bullets help with the sharp report over 40 gr bullets? Is the muzzle velocity of the 50 gr over the speed of sound from this length barrel? I am thinking of getting a single six with two cylinders and am wondering if the 22 mag is that much more powerful and hence worth it. Thank you for any info.

Comments

• Options
    lcdrdanrlcdrdanr Member Posts: 439 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can't address velocities or even revolvers but I can say I carry a two shot derringer type in .22 mag that I bought when I was running a trap line. I had used a .22LR to put down varmint sized trapped animals (up to coyote size) and it didn't have the killing power I wanted. The mag, even with the short 2" barrel, put them down immediately.
    I even loaded one barrel with rat shot shells and used it a couple of times on snakes, even it seemed more effective than the .22LR.
    As an aside, the .25 auto I borrowed from a friend was useless, worse than the .22LR.
    Dan R
  • Options
    mbsamsmbsams Member Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A single six revolver will deliver 1450fps out of a 6 in barrel. A good increase over the 1100 you get with .22lr (both with 40gr. pills) The mag report is painful!! hearing protection is a must! the .22lr report is tolerable. Accuracy of both is beyond what you can hold without sandbags.
  • Options
    m113103m113103 Member Posts: 35 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The single six has two cylinders so you can practice with the cheaper 22lr ammo then hunt with the 22 mag. Yes the 22 mag is louder. The 22's are loaded for a rifle so if you don't like the noise look for some CB long rifle ammo. Good for paper but dosen't have enough fpe for game.
  • Options
    iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    22 mag out of a pistol is LOUD

But yeah, you'll get "better than 22lr out of a rifle" performance

You'll also have a little more accuracy potential with 22wmr, since the bullet is 224" and 22lr is 221...
  • Options
    scubabobfscubabobf Member Posts: 392 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you for the information. Regards.