In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.223 Galil mags in a AK-74 .223

CLINTFCLINTF Member Posts: 735 ✭✭
edited February 2009 in Ask the Experts
I was at a gunshow in North TX this morning and saw a couple of mags marked "AK .223". I have a SAR-3 AK-74 in .223 (but it is 6 hours away at a relative) with about 3-4 steel dedicated AK .223 mags so naturally I jumped on these mags for a fairly cheap price. After I got hope and further inspected the mags I found them to be Orlite. I did a search on AK Orlite mags and all that kept coming up was people "converting" Galil Orlite mags to fit Siagas.

So, question is will these Orlite mags work in my SAR-3 as is or do I have to convert them?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    BTT...
    Today is the last day of the gunshow and I have the next two hours to take these mags back for an exchange. Does anyone know if they will/can work?
  • Options
    Wehrmacht_45Wehrmacht_45 Member Posts: 3,377
    edited November -1
    I do not think they will work. I have a friend who bought a Golani sporter, which is a Galil rebuild, and AK mags in 223 would not work in his. You might be able to modify them, but a straight swap is unlikely. Saiga rifles are not built the same as regular AKs, mods to the mags and rifle are necessary to make AK mags work in a Saiga.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Found out they are definitely not Galil mags.
    They are for an AK... I'm just hoping they are for 5.56 and not the Russian 5.45!
  • Options
    RocklobsterRocklobster Member Posts: 7,060
    edited November -1
    You can make the 5.45x39mm mags work with a minor modification. Not terribly reliable. I've had a SAR-3 for several years, and most of the plastic mags I've tried were cantankerous at best. I have two Bulgarian mags that work OK. The absolute very best that I've used are the steel East-German Weiger magazines, which are very strong and utterly reliable. Good luck!