In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Stevens barrel

Dave45-70Dave45-70 Member Posts: 637 ✭✭✭
edited September 2015 in Ask the Experts
I Need some help with a barrel, a friend has a barrel that they plan to sell at a small gun show coming up.The barrel is a Stevens bull barrel,break open type stamped Stevens A&T (not used after 1915),it is half round and half octagon with a globe front sight and a small flip up rear sight,the caliber is not stamped on the barrel but appears to be around 38 cal,and includes the walnut forearm,and is in very good condition They plan to sell for 100.00 just to get rid of it and I think it's got to be worth more but I don't know.It is not in my possession so I can't provide pictures so I've tried to describe it as closely as possible.I've offered to put it on GunBroker for them.Can you advise on value based on my description? thanks

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's a limited market and so the value is subject to demand. Likely worth way more to a Stevens collector. Finding said person locally is rare, nationally you have much better odds.

Offer to sell it for them on GunBroker. Give them 25% of anything past their $100 minus fees and shipping. Maybe you both can make some money and put a somewhat rare part back in service with a collector at a good price - win, win, win.
  • Options
    SP45SP45 Member Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The shank and thread dimensions would help a great deal.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    one place that sell a lot of parts as well as complete rifles like this barrel fits on is SINGLE SHOT EXCHANGE Most likely a model 44 Or model 44&1/2
  • Options
    chicoppeechicoppee Member Posts: 312 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The break open receivers were the first type of rifles Stevens made. They were mostly low end guns but there are examples of finely crafted rifles. The action was very similar to all the Stevens pistols with a button on the left of the receiver that opened the action and the barrel tipped down like a single barrel shotgun.
    Values for run of the mill examples are somewhere around 250 to 500. Better grades of finish drive the price up and up and away!
    I would guess a decent barrel with the forearm in a caliber that you can find ammo for would be around $150-250 IMHO