In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

barrel condoms-questions not answered

sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
edited September 2015 in Ask the Experts
Opened this again as some questions weren't answered when the last thread was locked.

The electrical tape tends to not stick when it gets really cold in Montana. Unless you've stuck it on there when nice and hot and it forms to what you've shaped it. Even still in super-frigid cold (same in Minnesota) the adhesive will stop "adhesing". What keeps the tape in place is the form it has taken when placed.

If you feel you need something over your barrel, the finger cots, or balloons are a better option, IMO.

My opinion still lies in the fact I lived in Montana for ten years and hunted nine of them. I lived in Minnesota 14 years and hunted five of them. Sitting in a stand wasn't my idea of a good time. I never used a barrel condom in either place. Not that I never would, but conditions have never warranted it. Many people go to Montana and hunt without them, and are quite successful.

Comments

• Options
    TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    A rubber band will secure whatever you choose to use.
  • Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Txs has the most accurate, up-to-date and high-tech answer. If you are walking in the woods, you need it. Saves a lot of trouble when you fall and stick the muzzle into the ground.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,824 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Even though I use the finger cots(like I said they cost me nothing), they are far too fragile for much handling. I "double up" and they still fall apart within 2 weeks or less of conservative handling(mostly laying on a pickup/Ranger seat). They ARE easier to use on flash hiders.
    Regarding the stickiness of the tape: if installed while moderately warm and an extra "security" warp made 1" or so back, it will stay until a shot is fired. I always carry a small roll of tape in the fanny pack or jacket pocket for follow-up covering.
    Anyone who uses a rifle scabbard should give the tape a consideration. If you've ever dumped the crap out of the muzzle end of a scabbard, you know what I'm talking about. You ram the rifle down there muzzle first and where is all that stuff going to be?
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    I have found the best way to keep the barrel clean and free of obstructions is to practice the first rule of safe gun handling: MUZZLE CONROL. If I slip or push through some brush or whatever, my first priority is to keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction, which is not pointed at the ground or brush, generally it is up. If I fall, I much prefer to keep my body between the ground and my gun. a bruise will heal, a dent won't.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,824 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "I have found the best way to keep the barrel clean and free of obstructions is to practice the first rule of safe gun handling: MUZZLE CONROL. If I slip or push through some brush or whatever, my first priority is to keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction, which is not pointed at the ground or brush, generally it is up. If I fall, I much prefer to keep my body between the ground and my gun. a bruise will heal, a dent won't."

All good advice but apparently you never have to cross a fence, set your rifle down to blow your nose (or pee), or hunt in rain or snow. Any of those things may end up with some tiny bit of debris or moisture entering the muzzle of your rifle.
    I'm not arguing safe gun handling, I'm pointing out that stuff happens and preventing foreign objects from entering the bore is quite easy.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    I've hunted in rain and snow. I've pushed my way through thick brush. I understand the value of the barrel condom or something similar. At least in rain or snow. Thick brush was never an issue.

Personally I use the cut off finger of a latex glove. Snaps on, thin enough to no be an issue.
  • Options
    yonsonyonson Member Posts: 907 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is an issue not yet discussed. Used a barrel cot once on a wet day & forgot to remove it at end of day. Next day there was a ring mark on bluing.
  • Options
    1BigGuy1BigGuy Member Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    yonson, I wondered about that too. I know that the sulfur compounds in rubber bands (and perhaps other rubber products. I'm not certain) react with some metals; especially in the presence of moisture.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    yonson,

No offense but at the end of a wet day of hunting I ALWAYS clean my rifle or shotgun since I abhor rust in any form. During that cleaning I would have found the finger cot or the tape or the the balloon or the condom or whatever I placed on the muzzle. Always check your equipment after a a day in the field because it will save all sorts of grief when you discover the things that might put a damper on the next day's hunt.

Best.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,978 ******
    edited November -1
    I've been hunting in N. Wis. for the better part of 50 years, We always use electrical tape. If you put it on when warm it stays put.