In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Hungarian m95 ammo

fastcarsgofastfastcarsgofast Member Posts: 7,179
edited September 2015 in Ask the Experts
Will the PPU 8x56 RS Mannlicher ammo work?

The reviews on the various ammo sites go both ways.

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The original Mannlicher straight pull rifles. Were chambered for a 8 X 50mm cartridge. This has a case 1/4" shorter, than the latter 8 X 56mm.

Only if the rifle was rechambered from the 8 X 50mm, will it work with the 8 X 56mm.

To be absolutely safe have a chamber cast done. Compare that with the dimensions of the 8 X 56mm, cartridge.

EDIT 1,

Went into one of my references, regarding these rifles/carbines.

It states when they were rechambered in the 30's from 8 X 50mm to 8 X 56mm. They have either the letter "S" or "H". Stamped on the receiver ring.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Well, you could see if an 8X56 case will fit, simple as that...if it does the PPU will work, yes. Whether it's accurate in your gun, that's another issue.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As noted by rufe, make sure you know which cartridge yours is chambered for. From various armories you will find these in 8x50R, 8x56R and 7.92x57 (M95M and M95/24)

As far as accuracy goes with these, I have to say I haven't found them to be very accurate. Even though, when the conversions were done it was during a time of peace and they should have been capable. In my rifle (carbine) I would pretty much be in the 4-5moa range at combat distances of 0-300m. Not great, but combat capable. The outside of my rifle and the steel in the action look to be superbly made. Very smooth and polished, and the metal has a fine grain. The wood is closely cut to the metal and I believe this might be a part of the problem in that there is no room for the barrel to float.
  • Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,848 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    PPU is the ONLY current manufacturer of 8X56R ammo. Keep in mind .329 is the bore diameter and the PPU bullets are the correct diameter. PPU also sells bullets and brass for reloading.

Over the years, I have owned several M95s both carbines and rifles.
    Most I have found have good bores and shoot well, especially the rifles. There were a number of carbines imported that were in almost new condition. These are great shooters and the straight pull action is fast and slick.

One other note. There is plenty of vintage ammo in stripper clips around. I have experienced hang fires as well as FTFs with this ammo.
    My advice would be to avoid this stuff.
  • Options
    1KYDSTR1KYDSTR Member Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    MY advice would be, if you have a carbine version, to NOT SHOOT IT AT ALL! These things were originally in, as mentioned, 8x50. The conversion took about 2 feet of barrel off and the accompanying weight it provided. Add the 8 x56 cartridge into the mix, and you get a gun that, after the wood has also additionally dried for 80 years, will about rip your shoulder off when fired with the vintage ammo I had. Makes my Buffalo Bore stoked guide gun seem pretty tame by comparison! I used to ( befor I sold it to a younger guy) bring it to the range to educate those who thought they were recoil impervious. My favorite activity was to hand it off to the dads that were bitching their kids out because they were afraid of his 30-06 recoil. It was an absolutely beautiful arsenal refurb, and since it was so little and cute, plenty of the jerk dads would give it a go to prove to their kids it "wasn't that bad! Buttplate shaped bruises, shooting glasses and ear muffs flying off, Dads with watery eyes who couldn't speak for a full minute afterwards...SOOOO rewarding; and their kids almost ALWAYS shot me that " thanks Man" look afterwards! As an aside, if you could handle the recoil, it shot well under 2 MOA.