In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Shoulder Stocks

victorj19victorj19 Member Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭
edited September 2015 in Ask the Experts
Have started seeing shoulder stocks for Glocks for sale. Is it legal to use them? Or, does it turn a pistol into a SBR?

Comments

• Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    With the exception of CERTAIN Lugers, Browning Hi Powers and Broomhandle Mausers, adding a shoulder stock to a handgun with a bbl less than 16" makes it a SBR. There are some "Braces" that are not considered shoulder stocks that are being used with AR Pistols.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mr 6r is correct; what you see is not a shoulder stock. I know, it looks like a shoulder stock, & it is flat on the end like a shoulder stock. But, it is a "brace".

Having said that, folks who don't have arms that are longer than average probably would be able to use the "brace" like a shoulder stock. The fellas with the bulges in the cheap suits have ruled that this item is a brace, unless you use it as a shoulder stock, in which case it would be considered to be an illegal shoulder stock.

Theoretically, if your buddy took a photo of you using a brace as a shoulder stock while shooting at the range, & he posted it on Facebook, special agents could break your door down & arrest you.

I wouldn't have one, because I hate prison food.

Neal

EDIT: OK, I thought that this was what the OP was referring to:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Wj85f8J_80
    But, maybe Competentone is right. I think the OP needs to give us more details on what he saw.
  • Options
    victorj19victorj19 Member Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's what I thought.

There are several sellers on eBay peddling them and don't mention that the owner could be in trouble if they are actually attached to a Glock.

But then there are people who don't care or think about such things.

Thanks

Jim
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If I am not mistaken, you cannot even put a 16"+ barrel on a pistol, and add a stock. Once it is registered as a pistol, it is considered always a pistol. There are some special exceptions, when it comes to some certain Thompson Center Contender Carbine KITS.

But a stock on anything under 16" is definitely a bad move, unless you have gone thru the paperwork with the BATFE, and it is approved, and you have the Tax Stamp for which to do so.

Best
  • Options
    competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tsr1965
    If I am not mistaken, you cannot even put a 16"+ barrel on a pistol, and add a stock. Once it is registered as a pistol, it is considered always a pistol. There are some special exceptions, when it comes to some certain Thompson Center Contender Carbine KITS.

But a stock on anything under 16" is definitely a bad move, unless you have gone thru the paperwork with the BATFE, and it is approved, and you have the Tax Stamp for which to do so.

The ATF clarified this in their 2011 ruling on it. You can convert a pistol to a rifle, and back again to a pistol, but must always install the 16+ inch long barrel before attaching any stock. And when taking it down, remove the stock before removing the barrel.

https://www.guntrustlawyer.com/2011/08/atf-rulingrifles-configured-fr.html
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,370 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are also stock-like devices which do not attach to the pistol. Your hand grasp just holds the butt of the pistol into a matching cup shape at the front of the stock-like device.
    These have been made off and on for some time and the BATF has not yet redefined them as equal to a real detachable buttstock.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,977 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:I wouldn't have one, because I hate prison food.

Neal, as always I am stunned by your years of experience.[:D]
  • Options
    1KYDSTR1KYDSTR Member Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is the OP asking about the Glock carbine kits? The one where you place the FRAME of the pistol into a carbine-esque stock that has a "16+ barrel on it? I'm not clear as to if we are talking apples and oranges here cause I believe THOSE to be legal?
  • Options
    competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 1KYDSTR
    Is the OP asking about the Glock carbine kits? The one where you place the FRAME of the pistol into a carbine-esque stock that has a "16+ barrel on it? I'm not clear as to if we are talking apples and oranges here cause I believe THOSE to be legal?

I would interpret his question as one about just the shoulder stock -- like these: https://www.google.com/search?q=glock+18+stock&lr=&as_qdr=all&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0CB8QsARqFQoTCOG6uvbw58cCFQuNDQodhX0FMA&biw=1366&bih=580

They've been around for a long time and are perfectly legal in other countries -- perfectly legal to own in the U.S. too, one just cannot install it onto a Glock one owns without having first registered that Glock as a SBR and paid the $200 tax.

The Glock "carbine kits" are perfectly legal to use. See my link in my post above.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by victorj19
    Have started seeing shoulder stocks for Glocks for sale. Is it legal to use them? Or, does it turn a pistol into a SBR?

The second thing. Unless you go through the Federal SBR licensing requirements first, if you put this on a normal Glock pistol you've just broken Federal (and probably State) law.

You can use these legally on Airsoft, or similar non-firearm guns. You can use them legally on pistols in certain places outside the USA.

While this used to NOT be true as recently as a few years ago, per recent BATFE policy, you can now legally put a shoulder stock on a pistol if you ALSO put on a 16" (or longer) barrel, turning the whole thing into a carbine.

If you want to do this, you're supposed to put the long barrel on first, and take it off last, that way the gun is never in an illegal configuration.