In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

vortex scope for M4-type question

WuNgCWuNgC Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
edited September 2015 in Ask the Experts
awhile back i posted for advice on new ar15/m4 type carbine. i purchased the PSA version. this one has the A2 front site.

i put a magpul flip rear site on it.

and now i want to put a red/gr-dot type scope on it. and i'm liking the vortex spitfire prism 3x. good specs and price is good for me.

question is; would the A2 front sight interfere with this scope and/or the magpul i put on?

Comments

• Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    WuNgC,

Of course it's going to interfere with the scope. Scopes necessarily need to be mounted as close to the centerline of the bore as possible but we all know this is difficult with the AR platforms.

The best solution is to use a riser-type scope mount and add some padding to the cheekpiece to raise your face up a little.

Vortex has photographs of this setup on the Spitfire website.

Best.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nononsense
    WuNgC,

Of course it's going to interfere with the scope. Scopes necessarily need to be mounted as close to the centerline of the bore as possible but we all know this is difficult with the AR platforms.

The best solution is to use a riser-type scope mount and add some padding to the cheekpiece to raise your face up a little.

Vortex has photographs of this setup on the Spitfire website.

Best.

i see they have the multi-height adj mount. whether it works well for me regarding eye-relief since i have a rear-flip sight i don't know.

not all reviewers mentioned that issue though.

thanks
  • Options
    1KYDSTR1KYDSTR Member Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use an American Defnse quick disconnect mount ($170) and a Sun Optics 1.1-4 ($180)on my "M-4". The scope has a German number 4 reticle with illuminated 2MOA dot in an open center. On 4 power, the A frame disappears and anything under about 2.75x it co witnesses in the bottom half under the crosshairs; I.e., out of the way. All I have to do to transition to irons is remove the mount/optic (about a twenty second deal) and hit the Mag-Pul BUIS in back and I'm in business. Love this set up, and the scope is plenty good for my applications.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 1KYDSTR
    I use an American Defnse quick disconnect mount ($170) and a Sun Optics 1.1-4 ($180)on my "M-4". The scope has a German number 4 reticle with illuminated 2MOA dot in an open center. On 4 power, the A frame disappears and anything under about 2.75x it co witnesses in the bottom half under the crosshairs; I.e., out of the way. All I have to do to transition to irons is remove the mount/optic (about a twenty second deal) and hit the Mag-Pul BUIS in back and I'm in business. Love this set up, and the scope is plenty good for my applications.

the quick disconnect, i'm going to get that. i like that functionality.

have not heard of the Sun Optics before. Amazon has it listed but the image has it with a red-dot on top and scope mount so that image is misleading with their price point.

i'll keep the Sun in mind. thanks!
  • Options
    1KYDSTR1KYDSTR Member Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Optics planet has them; the Euro hunter 30 mm 1.1-4 German 4A, IR. bought mine 2 years ago; price is up to $210 now. Small objective, larger eyepiece; looks a little like the Leupold mark 8 AR scope; not that they would compare favorably for the Sun! About 3K difference I think!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 1KYDSTR
    Optics planet has them; the Euro hunter 30 mm 1.1-4 German 4A, IR. bought mine 2 years ago; price is up to $210 now. Small objective, larger eyepiece; looks a little like the Leupold mark 8 AR scope; not that they would compare favorably for the Sun! About 3K difference I think!

the vortex prism line, as a drawback for some shooters, and that is is the eye relief distance, i'm learning. reddots have a longer eye relief. since i would be mounting it in front of the BUIS, the vortex spitfire eye relief might be a problem.

me and my wallet can't go with Leupold as you mention. great glass, just out of my price domain.

vortex as some other reddots i'm gonna look at and the euro hunter. appreciate the insight.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Put a red dot on to witness with your front and rear. Then adj the dot to be right at the top of the front. Then you can see the sights through the dot sight.