In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Mosin prices

craigroopcraigroop Member Posts: 317 ✭✭✭
edited September 2015 in Ask the Experts
Is the current price level average about right for these rifles?

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think they are over priced and rated.
  • Options
    PA ShootistPA Shootist Member Posts: 690 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The majority of Russian Mosin-Nagant rifles have history, if only they could talk. I find it difficult to pick one up without wondering where it might have been. The USSR was flat on its back and gasping for breath early in World War II, and managed, barely, a rather heroic comeback. Nearly every rifle they could muster and manufacture was put to use, to include those saved from the First World War and earlier. When the war ended, never wanting to be caught unprepared again, they re-arsenaled and saved for possible later use, and then for posterity, many of the rifles. They have been sold in the years since the collapse of the Soviet Union, probably to get some much-needed cash for a new economy. The rifles themselves were robust, simple, and effective. No efforts were wasted where it didn't matter, but the working parts were well done. And the supply which once seemed endless, is now beginning to go dry. So the prices will increase according to the laws of supply and demand. When I was a teenager, there seemed a great supply of old Springfields, Mausers, Lee-Enfields, and more. We purchased many of them for as little as $10 each. Those days are gone.
  • Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you go to the auction side you can see what people selling them think they are worth. If you go to completed auctions, you can see what they were worth to a buyer and seller.
  • Options
    gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought my first one for $5. That was in 1961 & they stayed at that price for many years afterward. The one I have now has the folding bayonet & cost me $49.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by craigroop
    Is the current price level average about right for these rifles?

Are fully half of adults below average intelligence? [;)]

Yes, the "current price level" is (by definition) 'about right', since its what actual buyers are willing to pay.

If the question is, is a Mosin rifle really "worth" $175 (or whatever they're going for now), my answer is. . .it depends on the condition of the gun in question, but assuming the gun is in serviceable condition with at least an OK bore (many don't have that), then I'd say so.

First of all, even though literally millions of these have been manufactured, and are out there, prices on them are still only going up. I've been told that surplus stocks of these really are starting to dry up now, meaning prices probably aren't going DOWN in the future.

In terms of intrinsic value, where else are you going to buy a working, durable, military grade, wood and steel bolt action rifle in a 30-06 power caliber, with cheap and readily available surplus ammo ,for under $200?

Guns themselves are pretty rough (after all, Mosin-Nagant is a 19th century design), but Mosins are basically the last of the WWII era surplus rifles with affordable surplus ammo, and I think that's worth something.

quote:EDIT: Nunn: The one hanging on my mantle is one of a lot that I bought years ago from a now-defunct distributor. I believe the price was $100 for three rifles, shipped.
    I don't go back quite that far, but I remember when you could buy unissued (ie utterly brand new) ones for under $50. Needless to say, those days are gone.

This ad is from the 1950s:
    finnish-mosin-nagant-ad.jpg

But this one is under 10 years old:
    buy+the+crate.jpg

I think I paid $99 for mine about 5 years ago, and even then they could sometimes be had for less than that. Now the same 91/30 guns are around $180. That's pretty good appreciation in only 5 years, I think. (IE if my retirement portfolio has appreciated that much, I'd be pretty happy!).

The M44 carbines have appreciated even more.

If the question is, "are these going to go DOWN in price", I think the answer is "no". If the question is, "are you going to regret spending $200 for one of these", so long as you buy a "shooter", same answer, I think.

Edit: quote:I paid $59 on sale for Mosins and Turk Mausers at Dunhams about 15 years ago. What other things have gone up 150%?
    A whole bunch of things.SKS rifles that cost $100 each 10 years ago now fetch $300. So that's 300% in a lot less than 15 years.
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,023 ******
    edited November -1
    The one hanging on my mantle is one of a lot that I bought years ago from a now-defunct distributor. I believe the price was $100 for three rifles, shipped.
  • Options
    TfloggerTflogger Member Posts: 3,297 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I paid $59 on sale for Mosins and Turk Mausers at Dunhams about 15 years ago.
    What other things have gone up 150%?
    A whole bunch of things.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Something I've watched over the years with various surplus guns is how much the sellers plug the "you'll never see these again, for this price". Thereby getting a whole bunch of surplus rifles out there that many shooters lose interest in a couple years later.

Eventually, the price goes up. In some instances, substantially. But, as a whole not that much until the source dries up.

Point being you have to watch out for the false sense of the item running out and the ensuing panic to buy, that many firearms go through. Over time, the market will settle itself. If you want one because it is unique, then get it so you will have it. If you are looking to invest, buying a quality item at rock bottom prices is never a bad way to go.