In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Winchester 94 Big Bore 375

dodge69dodge69 Member Posts: 954 ✭✭
edited September 2015 in Ask the Experts
Could somebody tell me how long they made the made the Winchester Big Bore 375?

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I have a Winchester Big Bore 375. Can you use the bullet from a 38-55 to reload the 375? I can not find anybody that has bullets for reloading the 375.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a Winchester Big Bore 375, one of the early models, no safety. The gun has a lot of light pitting and heavy pitting on the receiver and barrel. If I sand the pits out and take the receiver back down to a polished medal Will I run into the problem of getting the blue to take on the receiver like some of the Winchesters have?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a Winchester Big Bore XTR 375. The gun looks new inside and out, bore clean as can be and I see nothing wrong with the chamber. I fired 6 rounds through it and it cycled just fine and is really smooth. I figured on having the ammo reloaded as the stuff is hard to find and expensive. I am not sure why I did it but I put a fired round in the chamber and it would not go all the way in the chamber, it will not allow the bolt to close all the way. I can see about 1/4 of the end of the brass. I am taking the gun to a gunsmith but wanted to ask you guys what you think the problem could be.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Brass expands after it's fired. But if it's factory loaded ammo, it shouldn't expand that much.

Only thing that comes to mind. Is if the chamber either wasn't reamed correctly, or with a out of spec reamer. If so, the fired brass might be out of round? And binds up as you describe.

This kind of out of spec chamber, isn't common. But does occurr, if quality control/inspection isn't on the ball.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Chambers on lever guns are often on the loose side and out of round isn't that unusual either. If the fired cases have no marks on them at initial extraction it a good sign. Lumps/bulges can be full sized out, but case life suffers.

With the bolt back, muzzle down see if you can insert a fired case into the chamber by slowly rotating the case until it freely drops in.

Hands on inspection by a gunsmith is never a bad idea. Take your fired brass and ammo with you.