In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Smith Wesson top break

peddlerpeddler Member Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2015 in Ask the Experts
Have a old top break revolver from SW, made between 1918 and 1919, this one has a hammer. My problem is that the hammer does not return after firing, the firing pin stays thru the frame hole, but just does this on 4 of the 5 cylinders. Revolver has been cleaned real good but has not been taken apart, just the side plate off for cleaning. Hoping to here from someone that works on these old revolvers. This one is in great shape except for this trouble. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    So does it hang up on exactly the same 4 chambers or just 4 out of 5 times?

I think the rebounding hammer is a function of both the trigger and the hammer plus the associated springs. Make sure there are no burrs on the firing pin/hammer nose or the slot in the frame. If it was dry fired excessively, someone might have "flowed" the metal back in place in the frame leaving a burr in the trough which could hang up the hammer.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    almost every time hammer will not come back on the same 4 cylinders.
    sometimes it hangs on all 5. With hammer spring out hammer moves freely in and out, so no burrs or such.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is a part called the "Hand". Which pivots off a hole in the back of the trigger. It index's the cylinder, by means of machined cam surfaces. Situated on the rear surface of the extractor star.

It's hard to tell from your description? But I would check to see if the hand, and the the machined hole it travels in are in good shape. Not broken or binding. Also check out the machined ratchet surfaces on the back of the extractor star. For the same. To see if they are binding up on the hand. As the cylinder is moved either by the hammer, or the trigger being actuated.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I will look at the hand real close for binding, but I thank the hand is down with the firing pin on the hammer still thru the frame, will look at it real close tomorrow. When shooting single action all is fine because you are pulling hammer back, but double action trigger will not pull because firing pin is still against the fired primmer.