In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Training Rifle

TheBrassManTheBrassMan Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
edited September 2015 in Ask the Experts
Have another question for you guys.

Have an old WWI Training Rifle. Looks like a 1903 Springfield.
The stock is stamped "BOYCE'S TIGERS GOV. ISLE N.Y.C."
The barrel is just a steel rod not bored through. Only about 1" is bored in the muzzle,
then crowned like a normal barrel.
The receiver and trigger assembly, is all stamped metal and springs.
The bolt is mostly made with stamped metal. It is damaged at the bolt handle. I figure a good welder could fix it.

But what I would like to know is, does it have to be shipped to an FFL or C&R?
It is totally non-firing and no way this could be made into usable firearm.
What are the rules on these?

Comments

• Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Boyces Tigers was named after Maj. A.J. Boyce who helped train civilian volunteers in WW 1 and 2 prior to their entering actual military service.

I have seen Mosin-Nagant rifles converted to 'drill rifle" status with a butt cartouche as you described. While it is tempting to say these are not firearms, as they cannot fire a cartridge of ball ammo in their current configuration, I would suggest some caution- Some of these were made up from actual rifle receivers.

No matter if the barrel is a wooden dowel, a steel rod, or peanut butter and jelly, the RECEIVER is legally the gun. Everything else is parts. If that has a real receiver that has not been demilled, it is a firearm, and would to go to an 01/02 FFL. It is not in original configuration, so would not be an 03 C&R FFL.

Above is purely my own opinion. All y'all- feel free to disagree with me, heap scorn, ridicule and derision on me (I am on pain meds right now, so have at it) Would love to see some pics of the item.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Never was a functional firearm. Ship it through the mail, like any other toy.

I would research it prior to sale though. There are a number of collectors of non functional replica/training firearms. For all you know you might have a diamond in the rough. That is highly sought after.
  • Options
    TheBrassManTheBrassMan Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is not a actual receiver. It is like 10 ga. stamped metal. No chamber no nothing.
    It is more like a toy.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A few years back someone here had a toy training rifle, and it sold for real rifle money.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Brassman, what you describe is a non-firearm. My concern was there were some "drill rifles" out there that are still legally firearms- what you describe is not.

Run a Google search for "Quaker rifle"- non gun versions have been out there for some time- used to teach manual of arms, etc. I know in the 1970s the US Army have non-guns that would hold an M-14 bayonet- and were used to teach bayonet drill, reducing damage to our actual rifles. Today there are the plastic "rubber ducky" M16s and AK47s used for training.

And, as said, many of them command some stiff prices from collectors.
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I believe I had one of those as a kid,,it's a toy,and it's does not have a real receiver at all. Mine clicked when I pulled the "trigger,"
  • Options
    mmppresmmppres Member Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1