In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

32 S&W AMMO QUESTION???

74man74man Member Posts: 162 ✭✭✭
edited September 2015 in Ask the Experts
I have a 1911, 32 s&w made by Iver Johnson Arms and Cycle Works. It doesn't state that it is a 32 but the box of ammo I got for it is for a 32S&W and we have fired it a few times. The ammo fits good and also ejects with the ejector when the top break is opened. I have looked up 32 ammo and there is 32 S&W, 32 short and a few other options in the 32 caliber field. What ammo does this firearm use? I have done some research and it's not a blackpowder pistol by the year of manufacture. Can someone tell me what 32ammo to buy and what grain is recommended? Any and all responses are greatly appreciated. It is the oldest firearm I have in my custody.

Thank you.
Bob
B

Comments

• Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    .32 S&W is correct.
    .32 Short Colt was a dead duck by 1911 and .32 ACP is too hot for the top breaks although the semirim will let it work in revolvers.
  • Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Virtually all of the inexpensive .32 revolvers made in the U.S. since the 1920's were chambered for the .32 S&W cartridge. The .32 Short Colt and .320 European cartridges were obsolete by then. The .32 S&W Long was introduced in 1903 for the higher grade/quality S&W and Colt revolvers. If the chamber of your Iver Johnson has a step in it, it is chambered for the .32 S&W cartridge, and that is the only cartridge that should be fired in it.
  • Options
    5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    Shoot only 32 S&W, do not shoot 32 S&W Long or any thing else. Especially no 32 ACP.