In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Cobra Vs Bond Derringers?

hermiemhermiem Member Posts: 261 ✭✭✭
edited September 2015 in Ask the Experts
Can anybody please explain to me why Bond Derringers are so much more expensive than similar Cobra models? I just purchased a Cobra in 9mm. A friend of mine told me that I would be sorry that I purchased the Cobra. My personal observation is that there is very little difference between the two. I paid like $156 for the Cobra. A comparable Bond (on their lower end models) are between $300 to $400. There is just not that much to either of them. Are you just paying a premium for the Bonds?

Comments

• Options
    Bill DeShivsBill DeShivs Member Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Cobra guns are cast of zinc. The Bond guns are all steel.
    Zinc is what Mattel "Fanner 50" cap guns were made out of.
  • Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    And Jennings and Davis semi autos. At least the 22's were.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "You get what you pay for, sometimes less."

Neal
  • Options
    fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    yugo vs cadillac
  • Options
    ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,647 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Find a gunshop that has both and compare...the Bond is head & shoulders above the Cobra/Davis version. The Bond is made to last a lifetime..the Cobra you might get a few good years if you don't shoot it much.
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, if there's no difference between the two I'd have to wonder why Cobra doesn't sell their pistols for $299.00?[;)]

I own a Bond & handled the Cobra, the Cobra is OK for what it costs the Bond is well finished, all steel, built like a brick and has interchangeable barrels. The Bond has a bunch of calibers and holsters, other stuff. Perhaps that contributes to higher cost. But all in all the Bond is easily a much higher quality gun. I have one of their early 44 Magnum barrels, I don't think the Cobra could handle 357 or even 327.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dfletcher
    Well, if there's no difference between the two I'd have to wonder why Cobra doesn't sell their pistols for $299.00?[;)]
    Sale price is always, in part, about what the market can bear. (But yeah, Bond is twice the gun, so it costs twice as much!).

In seriousness. Bond derringers weigh 20-24 ounces. Cobras are about 14 ounces. That one number probably tells you most of what you need to know about the difference between these two. No the Cobras aren't ALL zinc alloy (eg barrels are still steel), but the frames are, and overall construction just isn't as good as the Bond guns.

quote: But all in all the Bond is easily a much higher quality gun. I have one of their early 44 Magnum barrels, I don't think the Cobra could handle 357 or even 327.I'm sure you're right about this, but since Cobra doesn't actually manufacture a .357 model, its probably not really fair to hold its derringers to that standard of construction.

IE, if it wanted to Cobra probably could build a gun capable of withstanding .357 magnum, just probably not at the $150 price point, nor with the same frame and tooling design as its standard guns.

As a matter of practice, Cobra does have a 9mm luger, which (IMO) is probably about as much as you'd really want to shoot from something like a 14 ounce fixed barrel gun anyway. Bluntly, I'm a little skeptical on how well the Cobras hold up even to 9mm, but I suppose in reality, most shooters will probably never put that many rounds through their guns so maybe it doesn't matter.

From experience, I'd say there is a substantial difference in felt recoil in comparison between a .357 from a 14 ounce vs a 22 ounce gun, and once you get into some of the heavier Bond calibers (eg .357, 40SW, 45ACP, 10mm!), that extra 8 ounces makes a big difference in shooting comfort.

I can only imagine the pain involved in shooting something like a .44 magnum from a 3-4" barrel 22 ounce Bond derringer!

And nobody asked, but IMO in the 21st century derringers like this are mostly novelties anyway. I'm not in any way questioning their effectiveness (eg 2 shots of 38 or larger in a pocket sized gun is still plenty relevant, and I think there is something to be said about shot for busting snakes), but contemporary revolvers and small polymer autos now pack as much power with higher capacity into comparably sized packages.

EG, Cobra 9mm long bore is 5.4" in overall length, weighs 16 oz empty, holds two shots, and requires manual cocking between them.

Ruger LC9 is 6" OAL, weighs 17.4 oz empty, and holds 7+1 9mm semiauto. Smith 637 SA/DA snubnose is 6.3" OAL, 15 oz empty, and holds 5 .38+P. For just a little more weight and size you get a LOT more firepower.

If you want to compare to the heavier 22 ounce Bond guns, Walther PPS weighs 22 ounces, and holds 6+1 of 40SW in a 6.3" overall length semiauto gun. Etc.
  • Options
    Bill DeShivsBill DeShivs Member Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cobra barrels are zinc, with a thin steel liner.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's almost like asking why a steak off a grass fed milk cow, does not taste like the steak off from a grain fed Black Angus.

As has been stated, the Cobra is made to be shot very little, and not relied on, in most cases to save one's bacon. Where as the Bond, is quality made from Stainless steel, with a lot more machine, and hand work involved.

The Bond is available in many chamberings, and the cobra in very few.
  • Options
    hermiemhermiem Member Posts: 261 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Guys - Thanks for all the responses as they are appreciated. I understand the "get what you pay for" concept. For my purposes of a backup personal defense weapon the Cobra fits my needs. Thanks Again!