In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

So many stampings

Capital_NickCapital_Nick Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
edited September 2015 in Ask the Experts
This is from an old bolt action shotgun. I was just amazed by how many proofs and/or serials on this one barrel. What gives?

DSC06688_zpsosvp9wqz.jpg
DSC06689_zps9inla6qq.jpg
DSC06690_zpsklhadblb.jpg
DSC06691_zpsu3az4hlj.jpg
DSC06692_zpsjpat1imh.jpg
DSC06693_zpsevpdcnst.jpg

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My WAG is that it started out as a French military, black powder, Gras rifle. It was then bored out as a inexpensive shotgun. When it was sold on the surplus market. This was likely done in the late 19th or early 20th Centuries. As the Gras became obsolete after 1886, when the French adopted the 8mm Lebel repeating rifle.
  • Options
    fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    europeons are a funny lot for protacol
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:rufe-snow
    quote:fordsix

It's just crazy. Ds and Ws inside diamonds. Ss and Bs inside shields. Fs and Ps inside ovals. Bs inside flowers.

Numbers and letters overlapping each other all over the place. Doesn't it get pointless after... well... a point?
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I think this was done with one purpose in mind to confuse anyone that tried to find out if the gun was proof tested after it was turned into a shot gun I bet it was not proof tested
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow
    My WAG is that it started out as a French military, black powder, Gras rifle. It was then bored out as a inexpensive shotgun. When it was sold on the surplus market. This was likely done in the late 19th or early 20th Centuries. As the Gras became obsolete after 1886, when the French adopted the 8mm Lebel repeating rifle.

Right you are. I guess I could have just shown the whole gun at first [:D]
    DSC06694_zps3lceqdzc.jpg

quote:Originally posted by perry shooter
    I think this was done with one purpose in mind to confuse anyone that tried to find out if the gun was proof tested after it was turned into a shot gun I bet it was not proof tested

Probably