In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

275 rigby

kumatekumate Member Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭
edited October 2015 in Ask the Experts
I think I understand the 275 rigby is the same case as the 7x57, am I correct in this assumption

Comments

• Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    275 Rigby is what the British call the 7x57.
  • Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cartridges of the World states that it is "nearly identical to the 7x57mm Mauser." Performance and loading data are the same.
  • Options
    1KYDSTR1KYDSTR Member Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    By and large yes. I have encountered a few European make cases that would not chamber in a 7mm Mauser but would in a Jeffrey .275 I had access to for some years. The rims were wrong (I.e. Too big in diameter) for the 7x57. Most A,erican cases were fully interchangeable .
  • Options
    yonsonyonson Member Posts: 904 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    African hunter WDM Bell shot more than 800 elephants with this round which he referred to as both the .275 Rigby and 7mm Mauser. He used the standard military round of the time as it best suited his methods (penetration without expansion). This was the 173 gr. steel jacketed RN made by DWM, obviously otherwise known as 7x57 Mauser.
  • Options
    1KYDSTR1KYDSTR Member Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I believe William Maitland Dalrymple Bell shot close to 1500 tuskers, most with the .275 Rigby and 175's. I believe him to be one of the great shot placement practitioners/proponents of all time! Great shot, or he woulda been pink goo early on in an abbreviated career!
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One source says he shot 1101 elephants, about 800 with .275.
    He liked the .256 (6.5 Mannlicher) and .318 Westley Richards but said .275 ammunition was better quality.

I saw a .275 Rigby at a gun show once, with a letter from Bell expressing his concern about Rigby going to a 145 gr Semi-Spitzer* bullet; asking if the rifling twist was still adequate for the 175 gr roundnose.

*Anecdote: The Mr Rigby in charge after WWI refused to sell ammunition with full Spitzer bullets. He had survived being shot in the head with an 8mm when the pointy bullet glanced off his skull. Probably a nearly spent bullet but it still impressed him as unreliable in penetration.