In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

M-1 Garand originally?

ammo guyammo guy Member Posts: 810 ✭✭✭
edited October 2015 in Ask the Experts
I have a Springfield Garand Mfg in Dec 44, I think it is original but not sure, Does anyone know the correct drawing #'s of the major parts, IE, trigger group, bolt and OP rod. I has the correct Lock bar rear sight. Any info would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,881 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It would be best if we do it the other way: You can give us the serial number, description of the stock markings, & drawing #s of major parts, & we can tell you how original it is.

Better yet, photos would make it easiest.

Neal
  • Options
    fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    99% of garands will have had a parts change during R&R
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    Original and Correct are vastly different animals, with true original rifles being exceedingly rare. Without a serial number the information we can provide is limited; Springfield was cranking about 60,000 M1 Rifles each month (which is one reason we won the war) so knowing the date of production is not as much help as knowing the serial number.

The first thing to look at is the operating rod:
    M1oprods.jpg

If the rod looks like the one at the top of my photo, then you are on your way to a correct rifle. If it looks like one of the other two, with a small round cut in the saddle of the rod, then it is over before we even get started.
  • Options
    ammo guyammo guy Member Posts: 810 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ok, the serial # is 3,319, XXX. Barrel is dated 11/44.
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    The barrel should be dated within three months of the receiver, which it is. Now it is up to you to tell us about the parts. You might as well begin with the operating rod...Is it cut or not? It makes all of the difference because a WWII rifle with a cut oprod can never be considered original.

If you want to look up the drawing numbers on your own, you can go here:

http://battlerifle0.tripod.com/id3.html