In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

New Magpul "Hunter" stock for Rem 700

shooter10shooter10 Member Posts: 461 ✭✭✭
edited October 2015 in Ask the Experts
Has anyone used one of these? They seem to have a lot of nice features, but I am curious if people are pleased with them.

Comments

• Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    shooter10,

Both are similar in construction but the Magpul will handle all Short Action BDL bottom metal or can be converted to DBM for a little less than $70.00 for that unit.

The Pro Mag Archangel will only allow cartridges based on the .308 case. Essentially no .223 Rem cartridges.

Magpul Hunter 700 Stock

True drop-in stock that requires no bedding
    Fully adjustable length of pull from 13"-15" with 0.50" spacer
    Adjustable comb height and enhanced ergonomics
    Reinforced polymer shell with Type III anodized aluminum block
    Tapered beam design provides rigidity through the forend
    60? angle grip from the bore axis produces a firm hold

ProMag Archangel Precision Stock Remington 700 Bed Block:

Next generation, fully adjustable stock for Remington 700, short-action rifles in all calibers based on the .308 cartridge
    Drop-in fit
    Molded entirely, in black, of our proprietary, lightweight, carbon-fiber filled polymer
    Impervious to weather and will withstand all standard gun solvents and oils
    The Archangel 700 Precision Stock is tough as nails and will deliver outstanding accuracy shot after shot, year after year
    Aluminum bed block

We've had both in the shop and both perform well when the barreled action is factory. Thicker recoil lugs will generally not fit the inlet but the stock can be modified by machining.

I think if you're looking for an inexpensive improvement to the crappy Remington stocks then you're on the right track. However DO NOT expect a super accurate target rifle to be the end result simply by switching to these stocks. Barrels and triggers often will be the greatest improvements. Be sure to check the fit of the stock with your shooting style.

Best.
  • Options
    shooter10shooter10 Member Posts: 461 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you. Great report.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    shooter10,

I think I should also point out that I purchased one of each of these stocks just so I could test them personally so I'd have a basis for analysis and recommendations.

They are both built like the proverbial brick outhouse! I suggested on the first go 'round that SWAT teams could be well served using these to batter down doors... This bodes well for the strength but both seem just a tad heavier than some of the other aftermarket stocks. Then too, these stock are immune to water and cleaning products which is a boon for all of us who hunt and attend to the maintenance of our firearms.

Both were absolute drop-ins for factory configured rifles. Aftermarket recoil lugs will require 2 minutes on a mill for inletting the larger slot.

Both are on my list to recommend for simple owner installations.

Best.